To make sure we make the experience of being in hospital as a young person as comfortable as possible, we need to hear from those who are living it.
A big part of the Youth Service is to make sure we are listening to our young patients about what we are doing well and what we could do better.
In order to ensure we havethe right people involved in the decision making that affects young people's care, our Youth Service has set up the youth board and young adults (YYA) group to help make your views count.
What is the YYA?
The YYA is to represent the interests of young people and young adults from a wide variety of backgrounds and ensure that their views are incorporated into the development of services for children, young people and young adults across Southampton Children’s and General Hospital. In so doing making sure the hospital provides the best experience it can for its patients.
How does it work?
Our youth and young adult partners work directly with our staff to come up with ways we can improve our hospital. Together they make sure the ideas that are possible, become a reality.
Who can join?
- Anyone aged 11 to 17 or 17- 25 who is willing to donate their ideas and some of their time. If you’re under 16 you’ll need to get consent from your parent(s) or guardian.
- If you’ve been into our hospital as a patient or are a friend or relative of someone we’ve looked after, then you’d be perfect for our Youth Board or Young Adults Group as you’ll know how everything works.
- But, that doesn’t mean that you have to have been inside our hospital to help. The YYA is open to anyone from our local area, you just need to want to make a difference
What’s in it for me?
- you’ll have fun
- you’ll be able to see the difference you’re making by shaping children’s/ adult services
- you can meet new friends
- you’ll learn new skills
- all the things you’ll achieve with the YYA will look really great on an application form - for university, work or anything else you’d like to go on to do
As part of the YYA we’ll ask you to meet with us about Three times per year for a few hours. You can also help to support our special events or even do some volunteering if you like.
If you are intersted in becoming a member of the YYA, then find out more in our members pack or sign up using our registration form or email email@example.com