Our facilities provide a comfortable, safe environment for participation in clinical trials, embedded in the heart of one of the UK’s largest NHS teaching hospitals.
Our core opening hours are 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday, with weekend and overnight opening for studies as required.
We have excellent participant hospitality provision, extensive outpatient, inpatient and paediatric clinical facilities and full, flexible laboratory support for trials.
Participant lounge and courtyard garden
- Our lounge contains an eating area, comfortable seating, television and video. A small courtyard garden is available for the enjoyment of both staff and participants.
Adult inpatient and outpatient facilities
- Four outpatient-style consultation rooms. Consultation rooms have standard outpatient clinic equipment and facilities. One temperature-controlled with space for two participants.
- Four-bed high dependency adult ward and four bed low dependency adult ward adjacent to main nurses’ station, nutrition and allergy kitchen and drug preparation room.
- Dedicated infusion room with three fully adjustable therapy chairs designed for patients receiving drug treatment over several hours.
- 13 multi-use temperature controlled consulting rooms, one humidity controlled and three with negative-pressure air circulation and segregated access for viral challenge studies.
- Full acute support with two adult and two paediatric resuscitation trolleys and immediate access to Trust emergency department.
- Two drug preparation rooms, three clean utility rooms, secure hospital notes storage and single sex toilet and shower facilities.
- Environmental laboratory with three category II hoods, enabling safe sputum induction and nebulisation studies, dedicated paediatric environmental chamber and lung function equipment.
- An 84sqm bronchoscopy suite, comprising two operating rooms, recovery area and preparation area with full negative-pressure and full adult and paediatric capability.
- An air-conditioned physiology laboratory, with treadmill and cardiorespiratory monitoring equipment. Additional physiological equipment includes exercise bikes and CPX arm-crank stations.
- Dedicated dual energy x-ray scanner (DXA/DEXA).
- Ophthalmology equipment including slit lamps and retinal angiograph stations.
- Additional specialist equipment and facilities including near-patient mass spectroscopy, calorimeters, bio-impedence monitoring, laser doppler scanners, micro dialysis, plethysmography, pulse oximeters, 12-lead ECG.
Dedicated paediatric area
- Two multi-use in/outpatient cubicles, configured for sleep studies with EEG and cardiovascular monitoring
- Separate single cot or bed paediatric bay
- Dedicated playroom
- Paediatric treatment room.
- Preparation laboratory, monitored -80ºC and walk-in -30ºC storage, barcode sample tracking
- Tissue culture and sample preparation laboratory
- Category III containment laboratory
- Integrated access to mass spectrometry, confocal/electron microscopy and pathology laboratories and analyses.