Lovett, Dr Joanna
MBChB, DPhil, FRCP
- Stroke and neurovascular disease
Training and education
- Medical training - University of Bristol, 1991-6
- PhD - University of Oxford, 2001-4
- Specialist registrar training in neurology in Plymouth, Exeter and Southampton
Dr Lovett has worked for the Trust since 2005.
Prior to this, she spent three years working in the stroke prevention research unit in Oxford with Professor Peter Rothwell. Her research focused on the pathoepidemiology (causes, effects and control) of the high early risk of stroke after a TIA (transient ischemic attack) or minor stroke.
- Set up the UHS tertiary referral specialist headache clinic (2017)
- Clinical lead for neurology (2015-present)
- Neuroscience clinical governance lead (2013-15)
- Development of regional stroke pathways including the mechanical thrombectomy and the malignant MCA stroke pathways
- Development of the 24 hour stroke thrombolysis service at UHS (2008)
Awards and prizes
- Wellcome Trust clinical research and entry level fellowships, 2001 and 2002
- Brain neurology entry scholarship 2003
- Suetterlin K, Borg N, Joy H, Lovett JK, Ghosh BC. When is 'idiopathic intracranial hypertension' no longer idiopathic? Pract Neurol. 2014 Apr;14(2):102-6.
- Slaght SJ, Weir NU, Lovett JK. The workload of stroke thrombolysis: a prospective study in a district general hospital setting. Acute Med. 2011;10(1):10-2.
- Redgrave JN, Lovett JK, Rothwell PM. Histological features of symptomatic carotid plaques in relation to age and smoking: the oxford plaque study.Stroke. 2010 Oct;41(10):2288-94.
- Redgrave JN, Lovett JK, Syed AB, Rothwell PM. Histological features of symptomatic carotid plaques in patients with impaired glucose tolerance and diabetes (oxford plaque study).Cerebrovasc Dis. 2008;26(1):79-86.
- Lovett JK, Pinto A. Cerebral venous sinus thrombosis. Acute Med. 2007;6(2):51-4.
- Lovett JK, O’Connell S, Evans PH, Gutowski NJ. Neuroborreliosis in the south west of England. Epidemiology and Infection. 2008;136:1707-11
- Redgrave JN, Lovett JK, Gallagher PJ, Rothwell PM. Critical cap thickness and rupture in symptomatic carotid plaques: The Oxford Plaque Study. Stroke. 2008;39:1722-9.
- Redgrave JN, Lovett JK, Gallagher PJ, Rothwell PM. Histological assessment of 526 symptomatic carotid plaques in relation to the nature and timing of ischemic symptoms: the Oxford plaque study. Circulation. 2006;113:2320-8.
- Oates JA, Lovett JK, Gutowski, NJ. An aspirin responsive non-progressive chronic chorea. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2006;77:277-8.
- Lovett JK, Redgrave JN, Rothwell PM. A critical appraisal of the performance, reporting, and interpretation of studies comparing carotid plaque imaging with histology. Stroke. 2005;36:1091-7
- Lovett JK, Gallagher PJ, Hands L, Walton J, Rothwell PM. Histological correlates of carotid plaque surface morphology on lumen contrast imaging. Circulation 2004;110:2190-2197
- Lovett JK, Coull AJ, Rothwell PM, on behalf of the Oxford Vascular Study. Early risk of recurrent stroke by aetiological subtype. Neurology 2004;62:569-573
- Coull AJ, Lovett JK, Rothwell PM, on behalf of the Oxford Vascular Study. Early risk of stroke after a TIA in an ongoing population-based study. BMJ 2004;328:326
- Lovett JK, Gallagher PJ, Rothwell P M. Reproducibility of assessments of carotid plaque pathology: implications for studies of carotid imaging. Cerebrovascular Diseases 2004;18:117-123
- Lovett JK, Dennis MS, Sandercock PAG, Bamford J, Warlow CP, Rothwell PM. Estimates of the very early risk of stroke after a first TIA. Stroke. 2003;34:e138-40
- Lovett JK, Howard SC, Rothwell PM. Pulse pressure is independently associated with carotid plaque ulceration. Journal of Hypertension. 2003;21:1669-76
- Lovett JK, Rothwell PM. Site of plaque rupture in relation to direction of blood flow: an angiographic study of 574 ulcerated plaques. Cerebrovascular Diseases. 2003;16:369-375
- Hilliard A, Lovett JK and McGavin CR. The rise and fall in incidence of malignant mesothelioma from a British Naval Dockyard, 1979 – 1999. Occupational Medicine. 2003;53:209-12
- Lovett JK, Rothwell PM. Suicide in a patient with symptomatic carotid occlusion. JRSM. 2002;95:93-94
- Grubb H, Lovett J, Kingman HM, Copplestone JA, Prentice AG. Nomograms for the administration of unfractionated heparin. Thrombosis and Haemostasis 2001;85:565