Pinto, Dr Ashwin
Ashwin PintoMA BM BCh FRCP DPhil
Myasthenia gravis, motor neurone disease
Training and education
- Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge University, 1986 to 1989.
- Balliol College, Oxford University, 1989 to 1992.
- New College, Oxford University (DPhil student), 1996 to 1999.
- Post-graduate training in neurology at Radcliffe Infirmary in Oxford and Wessex Neurological Centre in Southampton.
- Postgraduate research fellowship at the neurosciences group, Institute of Molecular Medicine, Oxford University.
Dr Pinto has worked for the Trust since November 2003.
Establishing the specialist myasthenia clinic and the plasma exchange service.
Awards and prizes
Wellcome Trust training fellowship 1996 to 1999.
- Pinto A, et al. Human autoantibodies specific for the alpha1A calcium channel subunit reduce both P-type and Q-type calcium currents in cerebellar neurons. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. (1998) 95(14): 8328-33.
- Pinto A, et al. The action of Lambert-Eaton myasthenic syndrome immunoglobulin G on cloned human voltage-gated calcium channels. Muscle Nerve. (2002) 25(5): 715-24.