Kazmi, Dr Rashid Saeed
FRCP, FRCpath (UK)
Haematology (the treatment of blood disorders)
- Haemostasis (how the body stops bleeding)
- Thrombosis (the formation of blood clots)
- Thrombocytopenia (a condition that causes a low blood platelet count)
Training and education
Dr Kazmi graduated from Bahauddin Zakariya University in Pakistan in 1987. He came to the UK in 1989 and gained further experience in general medicine at the Royal Infirmary, Edinburgh.
Having trained in haematology at the Royal Liverpool University Hospital, he worked at the Oxford Haemophilia and Thrombosis Centre for five years before joining University Hospital Southampton in 2003.
Dr Kazmi is a consultant haematologist who has worked for the Trust since December 2003.
He has over twenty years' experience in haemostasis, thrombosis and general haematology.
Teaching and training
Dr Kazmi has extensive experience of teaching and supervising students at undergraduate and postgraduate levels and participates actively in local and national teaching programs. He is an internal examiner for PhD students and an educational supervisor for haematology specialist registrars and MSc students.
- As the director of Southampton's Haemostasis and Thrombosis Centre and the lead consultant in coagulation medicine, Dr Kazmi established the haemostasis and thrombosis services to the extent of achieving the status of Comprehensive Care Centre in 2007. The Haemostasis and Thrombosis Centre has also gained full accreditation by the European Association for Haemophilia and Allied Disorders.
- Dr Kazmi developed a comprehensive management service for patients with immune thrombocytopenias (ITP) at UHS that led to the achievement of 'Exemplar ITP Centre'.
- Dr Kazmi has been extensively involved in building up the profile of research in haemostasis and thrombosis. He has been principal investigator on a number of studies involving novel treatments for haemophilias and reversal of direct oral anticoagulants. He is working on establishing an academic haemostasis and thrombosis group at UHS.
- In his lead role in coagulation medicine, Dr Kazmi has established the haemostasis and thrombosis steering group to ensure policies and strategies are in place and kept updated in line with national and international recommendations on clinical and laboratory issues in haemostasis and thrombosis.
- As the haematologist on the thrombosis committee, Dr Kazmi ensured compliance with NICE guidance and root cause analyses of venous thromboembolism (VTE). This led to the award of exemplar status for VTE prevention.
Dr Kazmi is heavily involved in research. He is principal investigator and chief investigator on a number of studies including gene therapy trials in haemophilia, novel treatments for immune thrombocytopenia and reversal of direct oral anticoagulants. He is engaged in collaborative research with neurosurgeons, urologists, hepatologists and obstetricians in areas of mutual interest in haemostasis and thrombosis.
Dr Kazmi is the author of a number of publications including original articles, book chapters and abstracts published in high impact journals.
Click here for a list of Dr Kazmi's recent publications.
Dr Kazmi enjoys reading and is especially interested in contemporary fiction and history. He is interested in learning new languages and is an enthusiastic writer.
You can contact Dr Kazmi by calling 023 8120 8862.