Johnson, Professor Peter
CBE MD FRCP FMedSci
Training and education
- Cambridge University and St Thomas' medical school
- ICRF clinical research fellow and registrar in medical oncology, St Bartholomew's Hospital, London
- ICRF senior lecturer in medical oncology, St James' University Hospital, Leeds
Prof Johnson has worked for the Trust since August 1998.
He gained accreditation in medical oncology in 1994, and has extensive experience in the management of malignant lymphoma, including high dose therapy and stem cell transplantation.
- Chief clinician at Cancer Research UK
- Chair of NCRI lymphoma clinical studies group
- Chief investigator in multiple clinical trials in lymphoma and immunotherapy
- Director of CRUK Centre in Southampton
- Member of editorial board for NICE Guidelines on improving outcomes in haematologic cancers
Awards and prizes
- Prof Johnson won the Sir Lionel Whitby Medal and Ralph Noble Prize for MD.
- Prof Johnson was appointed CBE in the Queen's birthday honours in 2016.
- P.W.M. Johnson, M. Federico, A.A. Kirkwood, et al. Adapted Treatment Guided by Interim PET Scan in Advanced Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. New Engl J Med, 2016. 374:2419-29.
- P.Johnson, R. Challis, F. Chowdhury, et al., Clinical and biological effects of an agonist anti-CD40 antibody. A Cancer Research UK phase I study. Clinical Cancer Research 2015; 21:1321-1328.
- M. Glennie, O. Tureci, P.W.M. Johnson. Antibody therapy in oncology. In: Britten C, Kreiter S, Diken M, Rammensee H-J, editors. Cancer Immunotherapy meets Oncology. Springer International, Berlin 2014.
- A. Hagenbeek, O. Gadeberg, P. Johnson, et al. First clinical use of ofatumumab, a novel fully human anti-CD20 monoclonal antibody in relapsed or refractory follicular lymphoma: results of a phase I/II trial Blood, 2008 111:5486-95.
- P.W.M. Johnson, J.A. Radford , M.H. Cullen, et al. Comparison of ABVD and Alternating or Hybrid multi-drug regimens for the treatment of advanced Hodgkin’s Lymphoma: Results of the UK Lymphoma Group LY09 Trial. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 2005. 23:9208-9218.
- T. Geldart, M. Glennie, P. Johnson. Monoclonal antibodies and therapy in Cellular and Molecular biology of Cancer, 4th Edition. Oxford University Press, Oxford 2005.