Batra, Dr Akshay
Training and education
- MRCPCH, 2006
- MD, 2002
- MBBS, 1997
- Specialist training at Birmingham Children’s Hospital.
- Paediatric training at Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust.
Dr Batra joined the Trust in October 2011, as a consultant paediatric gastroenterologist.
He works as part of the paediatric gastroenterology team and manages children with various bowel conditions. Dr Batra looks after children with conditions like inflammatory bowel disease, coeliac disease, recurrent abdominal pain and intestinal failure. He also provides diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopy for the region, and clinics at regional hospitals. As well as general gastroenterology clinics, Dr Batra provides an intestinal failure and coeliac disease clinic.
Dr Batra has a special interest in enteropathies, and looks after children with coeliac disease and those who need parenteral nutrition both in hospital and at home.
- Taking up the role of college tutor supporting junior doctors and their training needs.
- Setting up of multidisciplinary specialist clinics for children with coeliac disease and intestinal failure.
- Formulating clinical guidelines for management of various gastrointestinal conditions across the Wessex region.
Claire Preston is Dr Batra's secretary, contact her on 023 8120 8711 or email Claire.Preston@uhs.nhs.uk.