Edelman, Dr James
Paediatric high dependency unit (HDU)
Training and education
- Undergraduate training - University of Southampton, 2006
- Postgraduate training - Wessex region, including Basingstoke and North Hampshire Hospital, Queen Alexandra Hospital (Portsmouth), Salisbury District Hospital and paediatric intensive care (PICU) at University Hospital Southampton
- Postgraduate fellowship in quality improvement - Wessex Deanery, 2014
- Paediatric HDU training on the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health (RCPCH) special interest module programme
Dr Edelman is a paediatrician who joined the Trust in March 2018. He's the lead for paediatric HDU at Southampton Children's Hospital and the medical lead for the paediatric outreach nursing team.
Dr Edelman has a particular interest in medical education, especially the use of in-situ simulation and technology enhanced learning.
- Development of a training programme for acute paediatrics for GP trainees and GPs using hybrid simulation as part of a one year quality improvement fellowship.
- Co-creator of the Simulation Tools and Resources app (STAR) for iOS devices, which facilitates easy delivery of in-situ simulation training and allows access to a wide catalogue of free, peer-reviewed simulation material.
- Involvement in the development of the Paediatric Innovation, Education and Research Network across Wessex and the Thames Valley, and creation of the PIER website for collation of regional guidelines, educational opportunities and research.
Awards and prizes
- Chair’s award at Wessex Shine Awards for highly commended educational projects for the GP refresher programme
- Trainee prize for the best presentation for 'A combined approach to GP education in paediatrics' at RCPCH annual conference 2015
- Best technology oral presentation for 'Development of a mobile application to facilitate in-situ simulation' at the ASPiH annual conference 2017
You can contact Dr Edelman by calling the paediatric HDU team on 023 8120 8662.