Abdalla, Mr Mohamad
Abdalla, Mr Mohamad (ophthalmology) photoMB BCh, MSc, PhD, MRCSEd, MRCOph, FRCS Glasg.
- Oculoplastics (eyelid and upper facial plastic surgery)
- Orbital (eye socket) surgery
- Lacrimal (tear duct) surgery
Training and education
Mr Abdalla has a master's degree in ophthalmology and a PhD in orbital surgeries in children.
His higher specialist training fellowships were at Moorfields Eye Hospital and Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children in London.
Mr Abdalla has been an oculoplastics and orbital consultant surgeon since February 2014. He joined the Trust in September 2018.
During his career, Mr Abdalla has developed comprehensive experience in the diagnosis and management of oculoplastic and orbital disorders in both adults and children. He is experienced in a wide range of oculoplastic, orbital and lacrimal procedures, including:
- treatment for ptosis (droopy upper eyelid)
- correction of eyelid malpositions - ectropion (eyelids turning outwards) and entropion (eyelids turning inwards)
- reconstructive surgery for patients who have had eyelid tumours
- treatment for facial nerve palsy (loss of function of the facial nerve)
- cosmetic eyelid surgery
- eyebrow lift surgery
- surgery to treat tear duct obstruction and watery eyes
- treatment and surgical rehabilitation of thyroid eye disease
- surgery to remove orbital tumours
- surgeries to remove diseased eyes and fit prosthetic ones (enucleation, evisceration and orbital implants).
- trauma surgeries for eyelids, lacrimal injuries and orbital fractures
- management of orbital cellulitis (inflammation of eye tissues) and orbital abcess drainage.
- Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- Royal College of Surgeons and Physicians of Glasgow
- Royal College of Ophthalmologists, England
- Central Professional List of Ophthalmic Medical Practitioners
- British Medical Association
- British Oculoplastic Surgery Society
- Associate member of F1000 faculty
- Egyptian Medical Syndicate
- Medical and Dental Defence Union
Mr Abdalla's main areas of research interest are thyroid eye disease, orbital tumors and periocular (around the eyeball) malformations in children.
He has published in international peer-reviewed journals and made presentations both nationally and internationally. Besides his clinical commitments in the ophthalmology department at UHS, Mr Abdalla provides clinical supervision for medical students, registrars and clinical fellows. He is also a regional clinical assessor for the Royal College of Ophthalmologists.
You can contact Mr Abdalla via his secretary Lorna Minns - call 023 8120 4761 or send an email.