Viola, Mr Nicola
Paediatric and adult congenital cardiac surgery
Training and education
- Liceo Classico G. Prati, High school, Trento, Italy, 1989.
- Laurea in Medicina e Chirurgia, University of Verona, Italy, 1996.
- Residency cardiothoracic surgery, Hadassah University Hospital, Jerusalem, 1997.
- Board examination stage A, general and cardiothoracic surgery Tel Aviv, Israel, 2001.
- Board examination stage B, CTS surgery, Tel Hashomer, Israel, 2003.
- Specialist CTS surgery, Tel Aviv, Israel, 2004.
- Cardiothoracic surgery fellowship, University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust, 2005 to 2008.
- Pediatric cardiovascular surgery, University of Toronto, Canada, 2008 to 2009.
Mr Viola has worked for the Trust since July 2005, and has been employed as a consultant since May 2010. He is currently the surgical lead and certified specialist for the extracorporeal life support (ECLS) program.
Mr Viola has contributed to a number of peer-reviewed articles and several chapters in surgical textbooks, and is author of the award-winning textbook “Key Questions in Cardiac Surgery”, now included in the surgical curriculum of the American Association of Directors of Cardiothoracic Surgery Programs.
He has presented at national and international meetings on congenital cardiac surgery and quality control.
- Low mortality rates in key congenital procedures verified by CCAD.
- Introduction and expansion of quality control methods in congenital cardiac surgery
Key awards and prizes
- Excellent instructor, The Hebrew University Jerusalem, 2002.
- Excellent tutor, The Hebrew University Jerusalem, 2003.
- Outstanding lecturer, Israel National Survey for Non-Academic Lecturers, 2003.
- Clinical Fellowship, the University of Toronto, 2008.
- Highly commended book award, BMA medical book awards, London, 2011.
- Technologies for atrial fibrillation therapy
- Digoxin-like compounds effects on cardiac function
- Endovascular restenosis inhibition
- Anomalies of pulmonary veins
- Quality control