Wilkinson, Dr James
BSc (Hons), MB BS, MRCP, PhD
Cardiovascular and thoracic
Dr Wilkinson is a consultant interventional cardiologist. He is fully trained in all aspects of coronary intervention, and has worked in a world-renowned high volume unit, with internationally recognised pioneers in interventional cardiology. Dr Wilkinson is trained in tachy and bradycardia pacing, although only practices bradycardia pacing now. He is also trained in all aspects of general cardiology, including echocardiography, and has an interest in cardiology and intensive care.
Dr Wilkinson's clinical specialist areas are
- trans-radial intervention
- heart attack intervention
- multi-vessel revascularisation
- treatment of chronic total occlusions
- complex coronary intervention
- use of dedicated bifurcation stents
- intravascular ultrasound and pressure wire.
He has a longstanding specialist interest in medical education, and worked in the education department at the Royal College of Physicians, London in 2003. Here Dr Wilkinson developed new methods of assessment of doctors in training, including direct observation of procedural skills. He has been involved with medical education ever since. Dr Wilkinson also has an interest in simulation-based training for procedures.
- Performance assessment publications in relevant journals.
- Clinical research: Treatment of heart attacks and intervention based research publications in relevant journals. Dr Wilkinson is an active participant in interventional cardiology clinical trials at UHS.
- Mitochondrial and endothelial cell biology, role of reactive oxygen species in aging and disease.