Levett, Dr Denny
PhD, MRCP, FRCA, FFICM
Critical care and perioperative medicine
- Perioperative (during surgery) care of high risk surgical patients
- Perioperative cardiopulmonary exercise testing
Training and education
- MA in natural sciences – Cambridge University, 1993
- BMBCh (medical degree) - Oxford University, 1996
- MRCP (member of the Royal College of Physicians) - 1999
- FRCA (fellow of the Royal College of Anaesthetists) - 2003
- FFICM (fellow of the Faculty of Intensive Care Medicine) - 2015
- PhD – University College London, 2014
Dr Levett joined UHS in July 2015 as a consultant in critical care and perioperative medicine. She's also clinical lead for cardiopulmonary exercise testing and surgical high dependency, and co-lead for perioperative medicine.
Previous roles have included:
- consultant in general intensive care
- Trust intravenous fluid lead
- high risk surgical clinic consultant.
Dr Levett is experienced in diagnostic and perioperative cardiopulmonary exercise testing, perioperative fluid management, enhanced recovery after major surgery and looking after high risk surgical patients.
Awards and prizes
- FRCA Macintosh Medal
- Association of Anaesthetists/National Institute of Academic Anaesthesia Research Fellowship
- Exercise testing for pre-operative risk assessment
- Hypoxia adaptation as a mechanism of injury in critically ill patients
- Exercise interventions to improve fitness before and after major surgery
Dr Levett's publications include:
- Levett DZ, Grocott MP. Cardiopulmonary exercise testing for risk prediction in major abdominal surgery. Anesthesiol Clin. 2015 Mar;33(1):1-16
- Levett DZ, Grocott MP. Cardiopulmonary exercise testing, prehabilitation, and Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS). Can J Anaesth. 2015 Feb;62(2):131-42.
- Levett DZ, Fernandez BO, Riley HL, Martin DS, Mitchell K, Leckstrom CA, Ince C, Whipp BJ, Mythen MG, Montgomery HE, Grocott MP, Feelisch M; Caudwell Extreme Everest Research Group. The role of nitrogen oxides in human adaptation to hypoxia. Sci Rep. 2011;1:109.
- Levett DZ, Radford EJ, Menassa DA, Graber EF, Morash AJ, Hoppeler H, Clarke K,Martin DS, Ferguson-Smith AC, Montgomery HE, Grocott MP, Murray AJ; Caudwell Xtreme Everest Research Group. Acclimatization of skeletal muscle mitochondria to high-altitude hypoxia during an ascent of Everest. FASEB J. 2012 Apr;26(4):1431-41.
- Grocott MP, Martin DS, Levett DZ, McMorrow R, Windsor J, Montgomery HE; Caudwell Xtreme Everest Research Group. Arterial blood gases and oxygen content In climbers on Mount Everest. N Engl J Med. 2009 Jan 8;360(2):140-9.
You can read more about Dr Levett's research on these websites:
You can contact Dr Levett via her secretary, Angela Richards - call 023 8120 4753 or send an email.