Pappachan, Dr John
Dr John PappachanMA MBBChir FRCA
Anaesthetics and paediatric intensive care medicine
Paediatric intensive care medicine
Training and education
- Medicine, Downing College, University of Cambridge
- Clinical medicine, St Thomas’ Hospital, London
- Anaesthetic SpR rotation, Northern deanery
- ICBICM senior registrar in intensive care medicine, Wessex
Dr Pappachan has worked for University Hospital Southampton since June 1998.
Following his anaesthetic specialist registrar rotation, Dr Pappachan took up a post as senior registrar in intensive care medicine in Wessex. After five years of being a consultant in adult intensive care medicine in Southampton, he became a consultant in paediatric intensive care medicine.
- Co-applicant in successful bid for SUHT/University of Southampton Biomedical Research Unit application, 2008.
- Co-applicant in successful grant for a study investigating the biology of steroid replacement in pediatric sepsis, 2007 (Meningitis Research Foundation).
- Steering group member-CHIP study (HTA grant of £1 million).
Awards and prizes
- Best oral presentation, PICS, 2006
- Medical student prize (Anaesthetic Research Society meeting) 2008
- Cerebrovascular disease and stroke, Pappachan J, Kirkham FJ. Arch Dis Child. 2008 Oct;93(10):890-8. Epub 2008 Jun 30.
- Polymorphisms in Toll-like receptor 4 and the systemic inflammatory response syndrome, Child NJ, Yang IA, Pulletz MC, de Courcy-Golder K, Andrews AL, Pappachan VJ, Holloway JW. Biochem Soc Trans. 2003 Jun;31(Pt 3):652-3.