Oakford, Dr Michelle
MBBS, FCRP (UK)
Medical dermatology and education
Training and education
- Bachelor of medicine and bachelor of surgery (MBBS) - St George’s Hospital Medical School, London, 2000
- Member of Royal College of Physicians - London, 2003
- International dermatology training program - Harvard Medical School and Massachusetts General Hospital, USA, September 2006 to February 2007
- Specialist registrar (SpR) training - Wessex Deanery, 2004 to 2009
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians - London, 2015
Dr Oakford has worked as a consultant within the Trust since 2010 and has a sub-specialty interest in complex medical dermatology. She has experience in general dermatology, skin cancer and skin surgery and is the lead for undergraduate training and clinical effectiveness.
- Becoming an honorary senior lecturer.
- Being clinical lead for dermatology.
- Being the undergraduate teaching lead.
Awards and prizes
- Certificate of merit in surgery in recognition of outstanding achievement in the final examination - St George’s Hospital Medical School, 2000
- Best oral presentation - registrars' symposium, British Association of Dermatologists annual meeting, 2008
- Registrar's prize for best oral presentation - British Society of Investigative Dermatology meeting, 2008
Dr Oakford's main publications include:
- Migration of immunocytes across the basement membrane in skin; the role of basement membrane pores. Journal of Investigative Dermatology, 131, (9),1950-1953. 2011.
- An audit on the surgical management of lentigo maligna and melanoma in situ using the 5-mm surgical margin, 2014. Br J Dermatol Jul 2014; 171 (Suppl 1): 82.
- Medical Education. Ongoing research on the benefit of an electronic learning portfolio for undergraduate teaching.
You can contact Dr Oakford via her secretaries, Tracey Ward and Yasmine Phangurha, on 023 8082 5257.