Patel, Dr Mayank
BM DM FRCP
Training and education
Dr Patel graduated from the University of Southampton school of medicine in 1995.
Dr Patel has worked for University Hospital Southampton since December 2008.
He completed a senior house officer rotation in general internal medicine at Southampton General Hospital, before being appointed as clinical research fellow at the Medical Research Council Environmental Epidemiology Research Unit, in Southampton. This was followed by a specialist registrar post in diabetes, endocrinology and general internal medicine at Southampton, Bath, and Salisbury hospitals.
Here at UHS, his responsibilities include reviewing people with diabetes who are admitted to hospital. He also sees patients in clinic who have type one diabetes and use insulin pumps or have diabetes-related foot disease or kidney problems.
- Accepted as a fellow of the Royal College of Physicians – awarded 2017.
- Co-created ‘T1:Origins’, a free to download comic book about a young man who develops type 1 diabetes, released October 2016.
- Wrote clinical content for MicroGuide ‘DiAppBetes’, a free for use, internationally available smartphone application for healthcare professionals and students managing people with diabetes, launched July 2016.
- Is a Diabetes UK local clinical champion (April 2016-April 2018).
- Higher degree - doctor of medicine (DM) awarded June 2006 for research into ‘The Role of the Growth Hormone/Insulin-like Growth Factor-I axis as a determinant of Bone Mineral Density in men’.
- Became a member of the Royal College of Physicians of London - awarded 1999.
Awards and prizes
- University Hospital Southampton Hospital Heroes 2016: adult diabetes team winners for ‘education and training’ category
- Wessex Shine Awards 2016: adult diabetes team commended as high performing education and training team of the year
- Honorary senior clinical lecturer title from University of Southampton for contribution to diabetes education - awarded 2015
- Quality in Care Awards for Diabetes 2015: winner of award for outstanding educator in diabetes
- Young Investigator Award (National Osteoporosis Society), 2003
- 2008: Asymptomatic hyponatraemia on the Acute Medical Unit. Acute Medicine; 6(3): 108-113. Patel MBR.
- 2005: Investigating the role of the growth hormone-insulin-like growth factor axis as a determinant of male bone mineral density. Bone 37: 833-841. Patel MBR, Syddall H, Masterson L, Swaminathan R, Cooper C, Phillips DIW, Byrne C, Holt RIG, Arden NK.