Patel, Dr Praful
Praful PatelMB ChB, MD, FRCP
Training and education
- Medical training at the University of Manchester
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians
Dr Patel joined the Trust in 1997, and is a consultant gastroenterologist with interests in luminal gastroenterology and endoscopy. Dr Patel is the training lead for endoscopy, and runs JAG approved national endoscopy courses in Southampton. He is director of the Hampshire bowel cancer screening programme and sits on national governance board for bowel cancer screening programme.
Dr Patel is a member of the oesophageal section of the British Society of Gastroenterology, and is medical advisor to the national and local Barrett's oesophagus campaign charities.
- Developing endoscopy services at the Trust.
- Developing of an informatics endoscopy tool and virtual gastrointestinal clinics.
- Developing therapeutic endoscopy including endoscopic mucosal resection, Spyglass and radiofrequency (HALO) ablation for early gastrointestinal cancer.
Approximately 30 publications on endoscopy, the role of inflammatory mediators in upper GI tract, screening and cost-effective models of care.