Sundram, Dr Francis Xavier
MBBCh;BAO, BMedSc, MRCPI, MRCPS (Glasg), Msc (Nucl Med)
Training and education
- Medical school at University College, Cork, Republic of Ireland, 1992 and 1998 - MBBCh,BaO and BMedSc degrees
- Postgraduate training in medicine and oncology, 1998 to 2002 - MRCPI 2002
- Specialist registrar in nuclear medicine, 2003 to 2007
- MSc (nuclear medicine), passed with merit
- Certificate of completion of training (CCT) in nuclear medicine
Dr Sundram joined the Trust in August 2007.
He provides comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic tertiary regional nuclear medicine service for Hampshire and the surrounding areas. Dr Sundram has a special interest in nuclear cardiology, particularly myocardial perfusion scintigraphy. This includes supervision, processing and reporting of over 700 cardiac studies a year.
Dr Sundram has a special interest in PET and CT scanning, which includes reporting of between five and ten studies a week.
He also has a special interest in radionuclide therapy. This includes consultation, supervision and administration of radioactive substances for the purposes of treatment in a variety of clinical and research settings. Conditions treated include benign and malignant thyroid disorders, myeloproliferative disorders, palliation of bone metastases and palliation of inoperable liver metastases.
- Reduction in waiting times for myocardial perfusion studies, to a six week waiting time.
- Setting up provision of an NHS PET CT service on-site, in conjuction with a independent sector provider which is overseen by the Department of Health.
- Key member of a multi-disciplinary team responsible for the introduction of a new procedure used for the palliative treatment of inoperable primary and secondary liver disease. This is known as selective internal radiation treatment (SIRT).
Awards and prizes
- 2005 Sundram F, Notghi A, Mostafa AB. The additional value of colonic transit studies in patients undergoing isotope proctograms for evacuatory difficulties.
- Awarded 1st Prize for Poster Presentation at 33rd Annual Meeting of the British Nuclear Medicine Society (BNMS) meeting in 2005
- March 2009 Sundram F, Notghi A, Smith NB.
Pharmacological stress myocardial perfusion scintigraphy:use of a modified adenosine protocol in patients with asthma. Nuclear Medicine Communications 2009, 30: 217-25 (PMID: 19262284)
- September 2008 Notghi A, Sundram FX, O’Brien JW, Smith NB.
Assessing the effect of increasing injection activity for myocardial perfusion imaging in overweight patients. British Journal of Radiology 2008, 81: 730-34 (PMID: 18541629)
- August 2006 Gangopadhyay KK, Sundram F, De P.
Triggering radiation alarms after radioiodine treatment. British Medical Journal 2006; 333 ;293-94 (PMID: 1688306)
2009 Gopinath Gnanasegaran, Francis Sundram, Margaret Hall and John R Buscombe.
Chapter title - Pharmacological Stress Myocardial Perfusion Imaging: Current Status and Limitations. Textbook: Integrating Cardiology for Nuclear Medicine Physicians, pg 245-60
(Editors: Assad Movahed, Gopinath Gnanasegaran, John R. Buscombe, Margaret Hall) ISBN 978-3-540-78673-3 e-ISBN 978-3-540-78674-0 Publisher Springer-Verlag