Fletcher, Dr Sophie
BA BM BCh MRCP PG Cert (Med Ed)
Respiratory, general and intensive care medicine
Respiratory critical care and interstitial lung disease
Training and education
- BA medical science tripos - Queens’ College, Cambridge University, 1995
- BM BCh - Magdalen College, Oxford University, 2001
- Postgraduate training - St Thomas’ Hospital London and The Royal Brompton London, 2004
- Higher specialist training in respiratory, general and intensive care - Wessex deanery, 2012
Dr Fletcher is the clinical lead for interstitial lung disease (ILD) at University Hospital Southampton. The ILD service in Southampton is a regional service in anticipation of specialist commissioning. It receives both regional and national referrals.
UHS is one of the few centres in the UK able to provide the novel anti-fibrotic drugs pirfenidone and nintedanib. These medicines reduce the body's production of the excess tissue that makes breathing difficult for patients with interstitial lung disease. UHS was the first centre in the UK to provide nintedanib, and one of only 10 centres in England able to offer this option.
Dr Fletcher worked with the British Lung Foundation, the biomedical research unit, the University of Southampton and Portsmouth Hospitals NHS Trust to set up a patient support group for those with ILD – WILD (Wessex ILD). You can find out more about the group by clicking here.
Dr Fletcher is the chair of the Southampton ILD multidisciplinary team meetings and is involved in ongoing research trials in ILD, from translational and clinical research to basic science. She's also a reviewer for the European Respiratory Journal.
Dr Fletcher's main research interests are idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) and interstitial lung disease, as well as critical care medicine and non-invasive ventilation.
Her publications include:
- Fletcher S, Jones MG, Spinks K, Sgalla G, Marshall BG, Limbrey R, Richeldi L. The safety of new drug treatments for Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis. Expert Opinion Drug Safety 2016;15:1483-1489.
- Ms Anne-Marie Russell, Dr Georgina Jones, Ms Ruth Sabella, Ms Nicola Cassidy, Ms Geraldine Burge, Ms Sarah Lines, Ms Louise Stanley, Dr Sophie Fletcher, Mr Malcolm Weallans, Mr Mike Bray, Dr Fleming Sharon, Dr Maher Toby and Prof. Dr Paul Cullinan. Health status & Impact of living with Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (IPF): UK & Ireland Delphi Survey. European Respiratory Society 2016 International Congress. Abstract Number: 856169. September 2016.
- Emily Heiden, Katarina Pontoppidan, and Sophie Fletcher. Evaluating trans-bronchial lung biopsy in a tertiary hospital. European Respiratory Society 2016 International Congress. September 2016.
- Giacomo Sgalla, Dragana Nikolic, Simon Walsh, Sophie Fletcher, Stefania Cerri, Fabrizio Luppi, Mark Jones, Donna Davies, Nicola Sverzellati, David Hansell, Anna Barney, Luca Richeldi.Validation of a method for automated detection of lung sounds in fibrotic interstitial lung disease. American Thoracic Society 2016 International Congress. May 2016.
- W.Thijs, R.Snooks, S.Fletcher. Low sensitivity of trans bronchial biopsies in diagnosing interstitial lung diseases. American Thoracic Society 2016 International Congress. May 2016.
- SV Fletcher, MG Jones, E Renzoni, H Parfrey, R Hoyles, K Spinks, M Kokosi, A Kwok, C Warburton, V Titmuss, M Thillai, N Simler,T Maher, F Chua, A Wells, L Richeldi, LG Spencer. Nintedanib for the treatment of Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis – initial experience in a UK cohort. BTS poster session, December 2015. 10.1136/thoraxjnl-2015-207770.146.
- MG Jones, S Fletcher, L Richeldi. Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis: Recent Trials and Current Drug Therapy. Respiration 2013;86:353–363.
You can contact Dr Fletcher via her secretary Brenda Perry - call 023 8120 6228 or send an email.