Dudding, Mr Thomas
Colorectal and pelvic floor surgery
Training and education
- Graduate, University College London, 2000.
- Postgraduate surgical training, Wessex region.
- Fellowship, Royal College of Surgeons of England.
- Research fellowship, St Mark’s Hospital, London, 2004.
Mr Dudding has been a consultant surgeon at the Trust since October 2012. He's a specialist colorectal surgeon with expertise in the treatment and management of colorectal cancer, functional bowel disorders, inflammatory bowel disease and anal conditions. His role includes laparoscopic colorectal and pelvic floor surgery, colonoscopy, anorectal physiology, hernia and emergency surgery.
With a sub-specialty interest in the diagnosis and treatment of faecal incontinence, constipation and rectal prolapse, Mr Dudding is internationally recognised as an expert in the use of neurostimulation for bowel control and has extensive experience and research publications in this field.
Mr Dudding's research fellowship from St Mark's Hospitalresulted in the completion of an MD thesis and an ongoing role as a honorary senior research fellow at this national centre of excellence. Furthermore, a travelling fellowship in 2010 allowed exposure to novel surgical techniques at Aarhus University Hospital, Denmark.
- Invited speaker at prestigious international meetings including the European Society of Coloproctology, United European Gastroenterology Week, The Royal Society of Medicine and St Mark's Frontiers in Intestinal and Colorectal Disease International Congress.
- Consultant to the international continence society cost effectiveness board.
- Structured preceptorship of consultant colleagues in the learning of operative skills in the field of neurostimulation.
Awards and prizes
- University College London John Briffa Prize for outstanding academic and extra-curricular achievement, 2000.
- University College London Obstetrics and Gynaecology certificate of Merit, 2000.
Mr Dudding's publications include:
- Economic evaluation of sacral nerve stimulation for faecal incontinence. Dudding T., Meng Lee E., Faiz O., Parés, D., Vaizey, C., McGuire A., Kamm, M.British Journal of Surgery 2008; 95: 1155-1163
- Sacral Nerve Stimulation for Intractable Constipation. Kamm M., Dudding T., Melenhorst, J,. Jarrett, M. Buntzen, S., Laurberg, S., Johansson, C., Rosen, H., Holzer, B., Vaizey, C., Matzel, K., Baeten, C.;Gut 2010 Mar;59:333-340
- Obstetric anal sphincter injury: Incidence, risk factors and management. Dudding, T., Vaizey C,. Kamm, M.; Annals of Surgery 2008 Feb; 247 (2):224-37
You can contact Mr Dudding via his secretary, Tracy Cooke, on 023 8120 6606.