Clinical Skills Facilities
The facilities Clinical Skills can offer include:
Clinical Skills rooms:
- 9 x 25 seat Clinical Skills training rooms, complete with the latest AV teaching aids and sinks in each room.
- Simulation Suite complete with AV Monitoring and feed back facilities
- A large seminar room for up 45 people
- A large multi purpose seminar/skills room along with an Annex laid out as a practice ward training area. Holds up to 95 people lecture style
All training rooms have Internet and UHSFT intranet access. They have the latest teaching aids, including data projection, video & DVD playback and interactive whiteboards. Two rooms have Southampton University Internet access and internal /external video conferencing access.
We have models relating to such areas as:
- Advanced Cannulation
- Emergency Medicine
- Minor Surgery
A sample list of the mannequins is as follows:
- Pelvic trainers for cervical smears
- Babies with clicky hips
- Male and female catheterisation models
- Venepuncture arms
- Otoscopic and ophthalmoscopic heads
- Resusci-Anne and Resusci-baby
- Buttocks and thighs for intra-muscular injections
- Breast examination
- SimMan A whole body programmable patient simulator - see below
A set of training CD ROMs and a computer are also available to enable students to learn about various cardiac conditions and to test their knowledge. These take a student step by step through each condition, from history and examination through to which investigations to order.
SimMan is a computer controlled patient simulator that will add realism and depth to any clinical training session. Manufactured by Laerdal Medical Ltd, Clinical Skills have a dedicated SimMan project co-ordinator who will be pleased to work with you designing comprehensive and realistic training scenarios.
SimMan can be used to:
- Teach a wide range of new clinical skills
- Reinforce and consolidate existing learning
- Re-visit patient case histories
Please, go to the Simulation Suite Page