Visiting medical students and overseas elective medical students
Medical student elective placements
Medical student elective placements at University Hospital Southampton are limited to a maximum of six weeks and are strictly observer roles. Because of staffing constraints we are not able to set up placements. Medical students are welcomed at UHS but our capacity to provide elective placements for students studying outside of the University of Southampton (UoS) is limited and you will therefore need to have an agreed supervisor in place before applying.
We are not able to host students on Erasmus or Erasmus+ programmes because neither we or the Faculty of Medicine at UoS are registered with the scheme. Please do not apply if you require an Erasmus placement.
Before you apply, please check that you meet the following requirements:
- If you are not a native English speaker, you will need IELTS certificate level 7.5 or an equivalent level of English that you can demonstrate.
- You will need to provide evidence that you have undergone the full required immunisation programme and will need to be cleared by our occupational health department before starting your elective. You will not be able to start without this clearance. Please complete the immunisation record and return with your application.
- We can only accept applications from EU/EEA or Swiss nationals.
- We can only accept students in their final two years of their programme.
Visa information for non-EU/EEA/Swiss nationals
Immigration rules were revised in February 2013 with the result that students on a short medical elective must now obtain a Tier 4 visa. Currently UHS is not a sponsor organisation for Tier 4. We are therefore unable to accept applications from candidates outside the EU/EEA or Switzerland. This restriction includes non-visa nationals. For further information please see the Home Office website.
It is important that you complete all parts of the application form and send it in at least three months before your requested start date. We are not able to process applications within a shorter timescale. Please do not apply more than 12 months in advance.
You will need to email the following in as attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Application form - please type your application and return as a complete PDF or Word document. Scanned handwritten forms and multiple separate pages will not be accepted.
- Immunisation record with requested pathology report.
A fee is payable once your placement is approved and before it is confirmed. This fee is not refundable. The fee is made up as £275 set up fee and £150 per week, for example:
- Four weeks placement = £275 + (4 x £150) = £875
- Six weeks placement = £275 + (6 x £150) = £1,175
Accommodation and travel arrangements
The hospital has no accommodation for visitors and we are unable to offer help with this. Students will need to find and arrange their own accommodation.
Students are advised not to make travel arrangements until their placement has been confirmed.
University of Southampton (UoS) students
Students of UoS School of Medicine who wish to undertake electives outside of the normal teaching programme time are asked to send in an application form only. There will be no charge for UoS students.
Please email the administrator at email@example.com