Our role includes assessing you before your operation and looking after you during and immediately after surgery.
Before your operation you'll be screened, have any investigations you need, and we can speak to you about your surgery and anaesthetic. This may involve:
- general anaesthesia
- regional anaesthesia (such as epidural or spinal)
- local anaesthesia (for example for eye surgery) and
We're involved with all types of surgery, for patients of all ages. We also provide:
- appropriate anaesthesia for the type of surgery, in the operating theatre
- pain relief (analgesia) for theatre and during recovery
- specialist pain advice as part of the acute pain service
- epidural pain relief where necessary for delivery on the labour ward in Princess Anne Hospital
- care of critically ill patients in intensive care and high dependency, with support (outreach) to the wards and the emergency department .
Anaesthetic department, mailpoint 24
Southampton General Hospital
Southampton, SO16 6YD
- Call us on 023 8120 6135
- Fax 023 8120 4348
For more information on your anaesthetic, please speak to your anaesthetist. The Royal College of Anaesthetists website also provides additional useful patient and relative information.