Meet the team
We have nine cardiac consultants covering the unit, supported by anaesthetic specialist registrars and fellows. Our staff are experienced in monitoring and caring for patients with unusual heart conditions, including adults with congenital heart defects.
We also work closely with the doctors from cardiac surgery, cardiology and congenital cardiac services.
More than 90 nurses who are trained in specialist critical care manage the day-to-day running of the unit. There will be up to 17 nurses working on the unit all the time. They work on a shift pattern, changing at 8am and 8pm.
Cardiac intensive care unit team
Also working within the cardiac ICU team are
- dedicated physiotherapists
- consultant pharmacists
- a microbiologist
- four technicians, responsible for equipment management
- two ward clerks
- a cleaning team working with one housekeeper
- auditors responsible for collating data for the unit
- a member of the hospital's pastoral care team
- trainee doctors
- a clinical educator
- a dedicated infection control sister.