Social work

Arranging care

Our social workers and administrative assistant can help to arrange additional care when you go home. If you can't go home, they will help to find nursing homes and give you advice on finance and benefits. If you already have a social worker and care package, our social workers will work with them as needed.

We do not hold funds for care packages. After our social workers have assessed the care you need, they liaise with the social work office in the area where you live, and care is funded through that office. If you receive support from Hampshire County Council or Southampton City Council's social service departments, you'll have to complete a financial assessment and will be expected to contribute to the cost of your care.

You can your family can choose to self fund care, either at home or in a nursing home. We can help you to find support with this.

Support for patients and families

We can offer support to you and your family, including children and grandchildren. You might find it helps to talk over what is happening and the decisions facing you with someone who can understand the changes presented by a terminal diagnosis.

Children and young people

It can be difficult to know what to say to children and young people when a relative has died. Our social workers can help by

  • providing reading and other materials to help children understand and cope with what is happening
  • talking with parents about how they might approach this
  • working directly with the children themselves, where parents find this too difficult.