Southampton children's integrated rehabilitation team
What do we do?
We provide high quality specialist care and intensive neuro-rehabilitation for children with acute neurological illnesses or injuries.
Working closely with families, our team includes psychologists, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, speech and language therapists and dietitians. Through these therapies and treatments, we aim to
- help your child to be able to do as much as possible
- support your child and your family's wellbeing
- ease your child back into their everyday activities.
If your child comes into neurology with changes to their physical or cognitive abilities, we can start their rehabilitation on whichever ward they're being cared for, including paediatric intensive care or the high dependency unit. We'll continue to work with your child while they're in hospital with an individualised programme based on their abilities and ongoing assessment. Some children may also have transition appointments with us as outpatients after they've left hospital.
The Southampton children’s integrated rehabilitation team (SCIRT) launched in 2015. We deliver an enhanced service including:
- Level 2a provision - meeting the BSRM (British Society of Rehabilitation Medicine) national guidelines, we have four rehabiliation beds and can provide rehabilitation following acute neurological injury.
- We meet the NHS England service specification for children's neurorehabilitation.
- We meet the national standards for specialist rehabilitation laid down by the Royal College of Physicians and the BSRM.
- We're accredited by UKROC (UK Rehabilitation Outcomes Collaborative), meeting the national minimum dataset for specialist rehabilitation services. We're the first acute paediatric rehabilitation service in UK to achieve this.