We have installed a helipad on the north-east corner of the Southampton General Hospital site to give access straight to the doors of the emergency department. This enables faster transfer of patients, and quicker access to emergency care for major trauma patients.
- Helipad works 3 June 2011: clearing the ground for the trolley ramp
- Helipad works 12 June 2011: concrete base for the path at the bottom of the ramp has been constructed beside the corner of the car park
- Helipad works 7 Sept 2011: A large crane is being used to construct an interim raised helipad on top of the multi-storey car park.
- Helipad works 9 September 2011 (a): iron girders being moved by the crane
- Helipad works 9 September 2011 (b): supporting struts being erected
- Helipad works 9 September 2011 (c): girders being placed on top of the pillars
- Helipad works 27 September 2011: preparing the landing pad
- Helipad works 4 October 2011: the big 'H' has been painted on the landing pad
- Helipad works October 2011: Aerial photograph of the helipad
- Helipad works October 2011: the helipad at night
The raised interim helipad on top of the main car park has now been constructed, along with a trolley ramp leading down from the landing deck of the helipad. Construction started in July 2011 and the first helicopter landed on 17 November 2011.
Watch a video of the first helicopter landing at Southampton General Hospital.