The 21-bed general intensive care unit at Southampton General Hospital is split into two sections:
- area A has 13 beds and four separate side rooms
- area B has eight beds and three separate side rooms.
Recently refurbished with new décor and windows, the two areas are light and bright, and each has a central nurses' station.
Each area has its own separate waiting room for visitors, as well as a quiet room where relatives can sit by themselves or when speaking to a consultant.
Relatives who wish to stay with patients have access to Manor House, in West End.
The unit also contains advanced monitoring and medical equipment to care for seriously ill patients 24 hours a day. This includes
- sophisticated new ventilators
- standard oscillator ventilators
- advanced 'Lidco' cardiac monitoring machines, often used for research purposes
- dialysis machines.