Please see below for some of the research publications that our consultants have been involved in:
1. Howe D, Kilby M, Sirry H, Barker G, Roberts E, Davison E, et al. Structural chromosomal anomalies and fetal outcome in antenatally diagnosed congenital diaphragmatic hernia. Prenatal Diagnosis 1996;16:1003-9.
2. Howe D, Wheeler T. Human maternal iron stores and placental growth. Journal of Physiology 1993;467(pp 290P).
3. Howe D, Wheeler T, Perring S. Measurement of placental volume with real-time ultrasound in mid-pregnancy. Journal of Clinical Ultrasound 1994;22(2):77-83.
4. Howe DT, Gornall R, Wellesley D, Boyle T, Barber J. Six year survey of screening for Down's syndrome by maternal age and mid-trimester ultrasound scans. British Medical Journal 2000;320:606-10.
5. Howe DT, Kilby MD, Sirry H, Barker GM, Roberts E, Davison EV, et al. Structural chromosome anomalies in congenital diaphragmatic hernia. Prenat Diagn 1996;16(11):1003-9.
6. Howe DT, Michailidis GD. Intraperitoneal transfusion in severe, early-onset Rh isoimmunization. Obstet Gynecol 2007;110(4):880-4.
7. Howe DT, Norman SG. Maternal pulse misinterpreted as fetal . Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology 1991;11(3):232-33.
8. Howe DT, Wheeler T, Osmond C. The influence of maternal haemoglobin and ferritin on mid-pregnancy placental volume. British Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology 1995;102(3):213-19.
9. Kilby MD, Howe DT, McHugo JM, Whittle MJ. Bladder visualisation as a prognostic sign in oligohydramnios-polyhydramnios sequence in twin pregnancies treated using therapeutic amniocentesis. British Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology 1997;104(8):939-42.
10. Kinare AS, Natekar AS, Chinchwadkar MC, Yajnik CS, Coyaji KJ, Fall CH, et al. Low midpregnancy placental volume in rural Indian women: A cause for low birth weight? Am J Obstet Gynecol 2000;182(2):443-8.
11. Michailidis GD, Hourihane JO, Sievers R, O'Donnell AI, Howe DT. In-utero pericardiocentesis to treat fetal hydrops caused by X-linked chronic granulomatous disease. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2006;28(1):117-9.
12. Mulik V, Temple K, Howe DT. Two pregnancies in a woman with William's syndrome. British Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology 2004;111:511-12.
13. Mulik V, Wellesley D, Sawdy R, Howe DT. Unusual prenatal presentation of Beckwith-Wiedemann syndrome. Prenat Diagn 2004;24(7):501-3.
14. Ramsay L, Howe DT, Wellesley D. Parental attitude to participating in long-term follow-up studies of their children's health after in utero diagnosis of abnormalities. Prenat Diagn 2009;29(3):207-12.
15. Wellesley D, Boyle T, Barber J, Howe DT. Retrospective audit of different antenatal screening policies for Down's syndrome in eight district general hospitals in one health region. BMJ 2002;325(7354):15.
16. Wellesley D, Howe DT. Fetal renal anomalies and genetic syndromes. Prenatal Diagnosis 2001;21:992-1003.
17. Wheeler T, Evans PW, Anthony FW, Godfrey KM, Howe DT, Osmond C. Relationship between maternal serum vascular endothelial growth factor concentration in early pregnancy and fetal and placental growth. Hum Reprod 1999;14(6):1619-23.
18. Predictors of preterm labour. MD Thesis. Matthew AG Coleman. Liverpool University July 2000.
19. The Levonorgestrel Releasing IUD; a wider role than contraception. Matthew AG Coleman, Lesley McCowan, Cynthia Farquhar. Aust NZ J Obstet Gynaecol 1997;37:195-20.
20. Fetal Fibronectin Detection in Preterm Labour; Evaluation of a Prototype Bedside Dipstick Technique and Cervical Assessment. Matthew AG Coleman, Lesley ME McCowan, Neil S Pattison, Murray Mitchell. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1998;179(6 part 1);1553-1558.
21. Corticotrophin releasing hormone (CRH), CRH-binding protein and activin-A in maternal serum: prediction of preterm delivery and response to glucocorticoids in women with symptoms of preterm labour. Matthew AG Coleman, John T France, Jean-Claude Schellenberg, Valentin Ananiev, Kevin Townend, Jeffrey A Keelan, Nigel P Groome, Lesley ME McCowan Am J Obstet Gynecol - September 2000 Vol. 183, Issue 3, Pages 643-648
22. Predicting preterm delivery: comparison of cervicovaginal interleukin (IL)-1b, IL-6 and IL-8 with fetal fibronectin and cervical dilatation. Matthew AG Coleman, Jeffrey A Keelan, Lesley ME McCowan, Kevin M Townend, Murray D Mitchell. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol.
23. Mid-trimester uterine artery Doppler as a predictor of adverse pregnancy outcome in high-risk women. Matthew AG Coleman, Lesley McCowan, Robyn North. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2000;15(1):7-12.
24. The molecular mechanisms of term and preterm labour: recent progress and clinical implications. Jeffrey A Keelan, Matthew AG Coleman, Murray D Mitchell.
Clin Obstet Gynecol 1997;40 (3):460-478.
25. Cytokine abundance in placental tissues: evidence of inflammatory activation in gestational membranes with term and preterm parturition. Jeffrey A Keelan, Keith W Marvin, Timothy A Sato, Matthew AG Coleman, Lesley ME McCowan, and Murray D Mitchell. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1999;181:1530-1536.
26. Expression of Intercellular Adhesion Molecule-1 (ICAM 1) in Choriodecidua with Labour and Delivery at Term and Preterm. Keith W. Marvin, Jeffrey A. Keelan, Timothy A. Sato, Matthew AG Coleman, Lesley M.E. McCowan and Murray D. Mitchell. Reprod. Fertil. Dev., 1999;11:1031-3613.
27. Intercellular adhesion molecule-1 (ICAM-1) in cervicovaginal fluid of women presenting with preterm labor: predictive value for preterm delivery. Marvin KW, Keelan JA, Coleman MA, McCowan LM, Zhou RL, Mitchell MD. Am J Reprod Immunol 2000;43(5):264-71.
28. Enhanced expression of intercellular adhesion molecule-1 (ICAM-1) in amnion with term and preterm labour. Marvin KW, Keelan JA, Sato TA, Coleman MA, McCowan LM, Miller HC, Mitchell MD. Placenta 2000;21(1):115-21.
29. Concentrations of activin A, inhibin A and follistatin in human amnion, choriodecidual and placental tissues at term and preterm. Keelan JA, Marvin KW, Sato TA, McCowan LM, Coleman MA, Evans LW, Groome NP, Mitchell MD. J Endocrinol 1999;163(1):99-106.
30. Holt RI, Goddard JR, Clarke P, Coleman MA. A postnatal fasting plasma glucose is useful in determining which women with gestational diabetes should undergo a postnatal oral glucose tolerance test. Diabet Med. 2003 Jul;20(7):594-8
31. The introduction of a specific request form for the diagnosis of gestational diabetes (GDM) improved the understanding of GDM amongst clinicians but did not increase the detection of GDM Penny Clarke Patricia Norman Matthew AG Coleman Richard IG Holt Diabet Med letter
32. An anonymous questionnaire style self-audit improved the understanding of gestational diabetes Patricia Norman Penny Clarke Matthew AG Coleman Richard IG Holt January 2005 Vol.5, No. 5 of Clinical Governance Bulletin
33. The introduction of a specific request form for the diagnosis of gestational diabetes (GDM) improves understanding of GDM amongst clinicians but does not increase its detection. Penny Clarke Matthew AG Coleman Richard IG Holt Diabetic Medicine, 2005;22 507–512
34. Alternative site self blood glucose testing is preferred by women with gestational diabetes. Clarke Penny, Coleman Matthew AG, Holt Richard IG. Diabetes-Technol-Ther Aug 2005, vol. 7, no. 4, p. 604-8, ISSN: 1520-9156
35. Epirubicin for Breast Cancer During Pregnancy (JR-04845-05) The Journal of Reproductive Medicine In Print
36. The effectiveness of glibenclamide in women with gestational diabetes
Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism (OnlineEarly Articles). R. I. G. Holt, P. Clarke, E. C. Parry, M. A. G. Coleman doi:10.1111/j.1463-1326.2007.00828.x Published article online: 17-Dec-2007 doi: 10.1111/j.1463-1326.2007.00828.x
Abstracts and presentations
1. Mid-trimester uterine artery Doppler as a predictor of adverse pregnancy outcome in high-risk women. Matthew Coleman, Lesley McCowan, Robyn North. Abstract presented at the New Zealand Perinatal Society meeting Christchurch 1997. Awarded ‘Young Investigator’ prize, New Zealand Perinatal Society.
2. Fetal Fibronectin: the current evidence. Matthew Coleman Review of current evidence for Fetal Fibronectin testing. Presented at the New Zealand Annual Scientific Meeting, Hastings, New Zealand April 1998.
3. Comparison of fetal fibronectin detection from vaginal samples collected with and without a speculum. Matthew Coleman, Lesley McCowan, Neil Pattison. Abstract presented at the Australian and New Zealand Perinatal Society Meeting, Adelaide, March 1998.
4. Fetal fibronectin detection in preterm labour; evaluation of a prototype bedside dipstick technique and cervical assessment. Matthew Coleman, Lesley ME McCowan, Neil S Pattison, Murray Mitchell. Abstract presented at the New Zealand Annual Scientific Meeting, Hastings, New Zealand April 1998.
5. Fetal fibronectin detection in preterm labour; evaluation of a prototype bedside dipstick technique and cervical assessment. Matthew Coleman, Lesley McCowan, Neil Pattison, Murray Mitchell. Poster presented at The British Congress of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, Harrogate, 1998.
6. Intercellular adhesion molecule-1 (ICAM-1) in cervico-vaginal fluid of women presenting with preterm labour: predictive value for preterm delivery. KW Marvin, JA Keelan, R-L Zhou, , MAG Coleman, LME McCowan, and MD Mitchell. Abstract presented at the annual meeting of the Society for Gynaecological Investigation, Atlanta 1999.
7. Patients preferences towards herpes simplex virus identification and attitudes concerning the acquisition of HSV during pregnancy: R Mani, A Cooper, R Patel, M Coleman Abstract Boston GU Conference 2004
8. Glibenclamide in the treatment of Gestational Diabetes Mellitus : Preliminary Experience at Southampton Dr Padma Eedarapalli Dr Matthew Coleman Oral presentation at British Fetal and Maternal Medicine Society Meeting Nottingham 2005
9. Twin Delivery Study Southampton University Hospital Priya Needhirajan, M A Coleman. Poster British Fetal and Maternal Medicine Society Meeting Nottingham 2005
10. Trends and Outcomes in twin Births (1992-2004) Priya Needhirajan Matthew Coleman Oral presentation Wessex Obstetrics and Anaesthetics Meeting 2005
11. Outcomes for antenatally diagnosed small or absent stomachs BFMS Liverpool, June 2009
12. MRSA Screening in Obstetrics: Does it meet WHO recommended criteria? BFMS Liverpool, June 2009
13. Diagnosis of Adherent Placenta and Experience with Uterine/Internal Iliac Artery Catheterisation/Embolisation for Management of Postpartum Haemorrhage BFMS Liverpool, June 2009
14. Effectiveness of glibenclamide in gestational diabetes. A Nasruddin, P Clarke, MAG Coleman, B Brown, RIG Holt. Diabetes UK 2009