The radiology department is divided into the following areas:
Southampton General Hospital
This department undertakes x-ray and fluoroscopy imaging procedures for out-patients, in-patients and GP referrals. Read more.
The children's radiology department provides imaging services for all children's wards, as well as children's, orthopaedic and cardiothoracic outpatients. It also offers a direct GP service by appointment, for children up to 14 years. Read more.
Provides radiological expertise to the Wessex Cardiothoracic Centre and all other chest and heart referrals. This includes chest x-rays, CT and MRI scanning of the chest and heart, and catheter lab service and various angiographic and interventional procedures. Read more.
This department provides imaging for the emergency department and also provides theatre imaging.
This department undertakes highly complex and specialised imaging and therapeutic procedures.
Royal South Hants Hospital
This satellite department undertakes x-ray and ultrasound imaging, mainly for out-patients and GP referrals.
Ultrasound is split between three hospital sites:
- Princess Anne Hospital – obstetric and gynaecological scans
- Southampton General Hospital – general abdominal, some Doppler and invasive ultrasound procedures
- Royal South Hants Hospital – the majority of Doppler scans
- Southampton and Salisbury Breast Screening Unit - provides a mobile and static screening service to 55,000 people at over 20 sites. The assessment centre and screening office is based at the Royal South Hants Hospital.
- Cross-sectional imaging or neuroradiology - has two computed tomography scanners, two magnetic resonance (MRI) scanners and a digital subtraction angiographic suite. A 24-hour cover service is operated.