Our facilities: kidney stone service
Our stone unit is one of the largest on the South Coast. We treat patients with all types of kidney and ureteric stones, and strictures of the ureter (narrowings of the tube that links the kidneys with the bladder).
Our unit has
- a mobile lithotriptor service
- outpatient clinic facilities (including a dedicated metabolic assessment clinic)
- a stone specialist nurse
- state-of-the-art equipment, including rigid and flexible ureteroscopes and a holmium laser for breaking stones.
- percutaneous nephrolithotomy (PCNL) procedures, including supine and the latest ultra-mini PCNL
- stone surgery for obese patients
- treatment for bilateral stone disease (stones in both kidneys)
- treatment for patients with cystinuria
- diagnosis and endoscopic management of upper tract transitional cell carcinoma
- a children's stone service.