Research individual or team of the year
This award recognises those who have been inspirational in the delivery of one or more clinical research studies in the last 12 months, including ongoing research. For stand-out contributions to making quality research happen, it covers any type of work across all of our research activity.
The research individual or team of the year is sponsored by University of Southampton.
Winner: Lower GI/IBD research team
The inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) research team (Dr Fraser Cummings, gastroenterology consultant; Maz Bettey, biologics nurse specialist; Suranga Dharmasiri, research fellow; Emma Levell, Meirion Ford and Monica Fenn, research nurses and Cheryl Booker, clinical trials assistant) have proved to be a very effective and pivotal part of the acute IBD team at UHS. They work extremely closely with the acute teams ensuring that all IBD patients are offered some type of research trial or study. They are in the three top patient recruiters for five studies both here in the UK and also in Europe. As well as their clinical work they are also involved in our IBD patient panel and the recent IBD open day held at UHS.
- Sarah Bailey, clinical research fellow, PAH research team, division C
- Sarah Bawden, respiratory research nurse, biomedical research unit (BRU)
- Serena Chee, respiratory research registrar, division B
- Genetics Research team, Wessex clinical genetics service, PAH
- Julie Mitchell, deputy senior research nurse manager
- Radiotherapy research team, division A
- Southampton Childrens’ Hospital ‘Ready Steady Go’ (RSG) transition team, child health, division C