Calendar of events
Our programme of events exclusive to UHS members will continue in September 2021.
If you're not already a member of our Trust and would like to watch the recording of these events please sign up as a member here.
If you are already a member and would like to watch the recordings then please contact us here
nsights into the Delta variant and how testing can prevent the spread the spread of COVID-19
6pm, Wednesday, 7 July 2021
Experts at this event gave an insight into why, despite the success of the ongoing vaccination roll out, we need to remain cautious about the more transmissible Delta variant. We also focused on the importance of testing, even for those without symptoms, to stop the spread of COVID-19 both in our hospital and in the community.
This event included contributions from:
What is digital healthcare and its impact on delivery of care
Wednesday, 30 June 2021
With University Hospital Southampton (UHS) recognised as a digital healthcare leader within the NHS, this event was an opportunity to learn more about what digital healthcare is and how some of the innovative programmes led by our UHS Digital team are impacting on the delivery of care.
The informatics team at UHS Digital is overseeing the development of a wide range of pioneering projects to improve the delivery and efficiency of healthcare services, and enhance patient outcomes.
Our vision is to be a hospital that thinks digital first and this event focused on how programmes translate to patient experience, and the steps taken to ensure personal data is kept safe.
The agenda included two case studies:
- My medical record - a secure patient-owned personal health record allowing individuals to manage their care
- The maternity health record - a new app which gives direct online access to records for pregnant women from across Hampshire and the Isle of Wight
This event was chaired by Adrian Byrne, chief information officer, with contributions from:
- Jo Watts, head of digital programmes
- Alex Kimber, principal project manager - digital programmes team
- Matt Sutton, programme manager, digital maternity programme
Nurturing young minds - supporting children and young people’s wellbeing at Southampton Children’s Hospital
Wednesday, 16th June 2021
This event was an opportunity to learn more about the work of Southampton Children’s Hospital (SCH), with a focus on how we are nurturing young minds and supporting the wellbeing of patients and their families.
Like all areas of UHS, everyone at SCH has had to adapt to the challenge of delivering care during the COVID-19 pandemic, while also supporting the mental health of young patients who are admitted to hospital and those with long term conditions. Our speakers gave an insight into new ways of working which place the wellbeing of children and young people at the centre of care.
The agenda included case studies on supporting wellbeing across SCH, with presentations from our youth work team and Southampton Hospital School.
The event was chaired by Peter Hollins, chair of the Trust board, with contributions from:
- Dr Angela Griffin, consultant clinical psychologist/neuropsychologist and lead for child psychology team
- Jo Ward, child health group care manager
- Louisa Green, divisional head of nursing
- Charles Keys, child health clinical lead
- Nell Giles, headteacher, Southampton Hospital School
- Sarah Shameti, youth worker, P.E.E.E.R Project and REgeneration project lead
Our expert's insights into COVID-19 vaccination
Wednesday, 28th April 2021
UHS has played a major role in the development and roll out of COVID-19 vaccines, and this event was an opportunity for members to learn more directly from our experts involved in the vaccination process.
Presentations focused on how the vaccine works in protecting us from COVID-19, an insight into the UHS vaccination hub, clarity for women who are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or breastfeeding, and what’s being done to dispel myths and increase uptake in communities.
Chaired by Peter Hollins, chair of the trust board, with contributions from:
- Professor Saul Faust, director of NIHR Southampton clinical research facility
- James Allen, chief pharmacist
- Aiman Alzetani, consultant thoracic surgeon
- Matthew Coleman, consultant obstetric physician.
We welcome feedback from members and guests about our events. If you’d like to share some with us or have a suggestion for a future events, please contact us here.