Rowlands, Dr Helen
Paediatric intensive care
Training and education
- MBBS (medical degree) - University of London, 1997
- Member of the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health - UK, 2002
Dr Rowlands joined the Trust in 2013, and is now an honorary consultant in the paediatric intensive care unit (PICU). She provides direct clinical care at a consultant level to patients on PICU.
Dr Rowlands is particularly interested in patient safety, aviation medicine and extra corporeal life support, a type of life support for patients with respiratory or heart failure.
- Locum consultant in CICU - Great Ormond Street Hospital, 2008
- Publication in Pediatrics journal - 2010 (see below)
- Locum consutant in PICU - Southampton Children’s Hospital, 2014
Awards and prizes
- Project grant of £14,000 to research use of transoesophageal Doppler in paediatric intensive care - Birmingham Children’s Hospital Research Foundation, 2006
- West Midlands Intensive Care Group Research Prize, second place: research into use of transoesophageal Doppler in paediatric intensive care, 19 March 2007
Dr Rowlands' publications include:
- Rowlands HE, Goldman AP, Harrington K, Karimova A, Brierley J, Cross N, Skellett S, Peters MJ. Impact of Rapid Leukodepletion on the Outcome of Severe Clinical Pertussis in Young Infants. Pediatrics. 2010 Oct;126(4):e816-27. doi: 10.1542/peds.2009-2860. Epub 2010 Sep 6.
- Hoschtitzky A, Rowlands H, Ilina M, Khambadkone S, Elliott MJ. Single ventricle strategy for Uhl’s anomaly of the right ventricle. Ann Thorac Surg. 2010 Dec;90(6):2076-8. doi: 10.1016/j.athoracsur.2009.12.084.
- Rowlands HE, Bowdin S. Genetic Syndromes. Book chapter in the Oxford Handbook of Paediatric Intensive Care. Oxford University Press 2009. Also a book chapter in The Oxford Textbook of Paediatric Intensive Care (in Press 2017).
You can contact Dr Rowlands by calling PICU on 023 8120 6972.