Brain and neuromuscular
Our brain and neuromuscular services are located on site at Southampton General Hospital within the Wessex Neurological Centre, which is one of the largest and most highly-regarded neurological units in the UK.
We provide acute neurosurgical and neurological care for a population of around three million people across central southern England and the Channel Islands and was named as a Centre of Excellence in 2016.
The central nervous system is highly complex and so are the diseases that affect it. We treat a wide range of conditions which require the skills of many different specialists. Frequently, a patient’s overall care will be overseen either by a neurologist or a neurosurgeon (if surgery is anticipated). Extensive support is also provided by other teams during investigation and treatment.
- Neurosciences intensive care unit (NICU)
For enquiries about an admission, appointment, operation date or to let us know of any changes to arrangements please telephone:
- Neurology admissions
- Telephone 023 8120 5165
- Admissions (surgery appointments only)
- Telephone 023 8120 6784
- Telephone 023 8120 4018
- Telephone 023 8120 5510
- Patient service centre (outpatient appointments only)
- Telephone 023 8120 8998 (neurology)
- Telephone 023 8120 6067 (neurosurgery)
- Portsmouth neurology office
- Telephone 023 8120 4922 - enquiries regarding appointments for neurology patients seen at Queen Alexandra Hospital (visit the QA website here)
- Isle of Wight neurology office
- Telephone 023 8120 6467