Hand, Mr Campbell
MBBS, FRCS(Eng), FRCS(Tr&Orth)
Trauma and orthopaedics
Training and education
- St Thomas’ Hospital medical school, London, 1991
- Basic surgical training programme, Bristol
- Trauma and orthopaedic training programme, Oxford
- Teaching faculty for medical students, physiotherapists, and orthopaedic trainees, University of Southampton.
Research and shoulder fellowships at the Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre, Oxford.
Mr Hand has worked for the Trust since 2006.
He offers a specialist shoulder service for all conditions of the shoulder including rotator cuff disease, frozen shoulder, instability, arthritis, fracture and sports injuries. Mr Hand also specialises in both arthroscopic and open surgical techniques.
The vast majority of shoulder surgery is performed arthroscopically allowing most procedures to be performed as day case, with better cosmetic result and faster postoperative recovery.
Mr Hand keeps a comprehensive database of all his patients and their operations, with shoulder scores before and after surgery.
He is currently participating in the UKUFF trial, a multicentre national UK trial on repair of the rotator cuff tendons. Mr Hand is also an active member of the British Elbow and Shoulder Society.
- Post-graduate lead for education, trauma and orthopaedic department, since 2009.
- Consultant lead for trauma, 2008 to 2009.
- Consultant lead for infection, 2007 to 2008.
- Educational supervisor.
- Co-author of 'The Oxford Handbook for Trauma and Orthopaedics'.
Awards and prizes
- British Elbow and Shoulder Society Kessel Prize for best scientific research paper, Edinburgh, 2006.
- Retention of Arthroscopic Skills. J. Bone Joint Surg. Am., May 2009; 91 1207-1213.
- Long Term Outcome of Frozen Shoulder. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2008; 17(2); 231-236
- The Pathology of Frozen Shoulder. J Bone Joint Surg Br, Jul 2007; 89-B 928-932.
- Pathology of the torn rotator cuff tendon. J Bone Joint Surg Br, Apr 2006; 88-B 489-495.