Oram, Dr Helen
MBChB, MRCP, FRCPath, PhD, MMEd
Training and education
- BSc medical sciences (first class) – University of Edinburgh, 1996
- MBChB (medical degree) – University of Edinburgh, 1999
- Member of the Royal College of Physicians - 2002
- Fellow of the Royal College of Pathologists – 2007
- PhD – University of Cambridge, 2011
- Haematology specialist trainee – North London haematology rotation, 2004-2012
- Masters in medical education – University of Dundee, 2017
Dr Oram is a consultant haematologist who joined the Trust in 2016.
Her special interest area is paediatric haematology. She cares for children with both malignant conditions affecting the blood and bone marrow such as leukaemia, and children with other non-cancerous abnormalities of the blood and bone marrow.
She has regular specialist clinics for children with leukaemia and late effects (side-effects of cancer treatments that occur after treatment has finished), as well as patients who need bone marrow transplants. She also has a regular non-malignant clinic caring for children with bleeding disorders and haemophilia, platelet disorders, and general (non-malignant) haematology problems.
She is lead for laboratory and non-malignant paediatric haematology and has an interest in blood clotting disorders, providing a regional service for children with bleeding disorders. She is also lead for paediatric BMT for Wessex and a member of the British Society of Haematology and UK Haemophilia Centre Doctors’ Organisation. She participates in national discussions for best care in all aspects of paediatric haematology.
She has an interest in clinical leadership, change management and service innovations, having successfully put in place multiple change projects to save the trusts she has worked for multiple thousands of pounds. She has a strong pedigree in education, having completed a master's in medical education and been a senior MRCP (membership of the Royal College of Physicians) examiner for over 10 years. She provides paediatric haematology training and educational supervision to Wessex rotation haematology registrars and provides haematology training to regional paediatric trainees.
- Lead consultant for paediatric haemophilia
- Extensively expanded the benign paediatric haematology service to cover complex cases from across Wessex
- Lead examiner for haematology for the MRCP and secretary to the question writing groups for all sub specialties
Awards and prizes
- Class honours in paediatrics, class medal in general practice, Dorothea Walpole Class Medal
- Personal fellowships: Cross Trust Medical Student Fellowship to MD Anderson Cancer Center, Sackler Studentship, University of Cambridge, Harrison Watson Fellowship, Clare College, University of Cambridge, Kay Kendall Clinical Research Fellowship
- Selected for NHS London ‘Prepare to Lead’ clinical leadership programme
- Dr Oram is primary and co-investigator for trials researching leukaemia, haemophilia and platelet disorder studies.
- She has recently completed a research dissertation for the award of her master's in medical education about question writing within computer delivered assessments.
- The research that led to the award of her PhD was on the genomic and epigenomics of T-acute lymphoblastic leukaemia.
You can contact Dr Oram via her secretary, Cindy Harbut, by calling 023 8120 4118.