Walker, Dr Woolf
BM, MRCPCH, PhD
Paediatric respiratory medicine
Training and education
- Undergraduate training in medicine - University of Southampton, 2000
- Postgraduate clinical training in various institutions including Princess Margaret’s Hospital, Perth in Western Australia, and Portsmouth Hospital
- Paediatric respiratory training - University Hospital Southampton
- Awarded a PhD by University of Southampton - 2015
- Made an honorary clinical senior lecturer at University of Southampton - 2016
- Two year fellowship in primary ciliary dyskinesia
Dr Walker joined University Hospital Southampton as a consultant in paediatric respiratory medicine in April 2013. As well as his general paediatric respiratory duties, he is also the lead for the national children’s primary ciliary dyskinesia (PCD) management service in Southampton.
Dr Walker is lead for research and development for division C within the Trust (the child health, women and newborn and support services departments). He's also the lead for UHS as a reference centre for primary ciliary dyskinesia, cystic fibrosis and interstitial lung disease in the Respiratory European Reference Network (ERN-Lung).
- Leading the national PCD management service in Southampton.
- Being the speciality group lead for the Children’s Clinical Research Network in Wessex.
- Being research and development lead for division C here at UHS.
- Earning his PhD from the University of Southampton in 2015.
- Being made an honorary clinical senior lecturer at the University of Southampton in 2016.
- Publishing a significant number of original articles, chapters and reviews in the field of paediatric respiratory medicine and paediatric infectious disease.
Awards and prizes
Dr Walker has received a number of research awards and prizes, including
- Health Education England's team research award, 2016
- awards from the British Paediatric Respiratory Society (BPRS) and the European Society of Paediatric Infectious Disease (ESPID)
- the Altounyan and David Siggers prizes
- the SoCATs prize for best publication, University of Southampton, 2011.
With main research interests in respiratory infection and primary ciliary dyskinesia, Dr Walker has published a large number of original articles, chapters and reviews in the fields of paediatric respiratory medicine and infectious disease.
You can contact Dr Walker via the secretary and administrator for the PCD service, Samantha Packham, on 023 8120 4315 or by email.