Sandeman, Dr Derek
FRCP, PhD, BSc
Diabetes, general medicine
Training and education
- Undergraduate training at Charing Cross Hospital
- Research carried out at the University of Exeter with Professor Sir John Tooke
- Endocrinology training at University Hospital of Wales
Dr Sandeman joined UHS in 1993, and is medical director for the Trust.
He runs clinics in neuroendocrinology, thyroid, adrenal reproductive endocrinology and neuroendocrine cancer.
- Regional lead for endocrinology
- Specialty training committee chair
- Divisional clinical director
- Sandeman D.D, Shore A C Tooke J E
Skin capillary pressure: relationship to duration, control and complications diabetes NEJM 1992;327:760 – 764.
- Shore A.C; Sandeman D.D.; Tooke JE
Capillary pressure, pulse pressure amplitude and pressure waveform in healthy volunteers
Am J-Physio. 1995 Jan: 268(1 Pt 2): H147-54
- Eiser C, Flynn M, Green E, Havermans T. Sandeman D, Tooke J.E. Effect of education, control and treatment regimen on quality of life in young type 1 (insulin dependent diabetic patients. Diabetic Medicine.
- F.W.F. Hanna, R.J. Pettit, F.Ammari,W.D. Evans, D.Sandeman, J.H. Lazarus. Effect of Replacement Doses of Thyroxine on Bone Mineral Density
Clinical Endocrinology (1998) 48, 229-234
- Thompson CH Sanderson AL, Sandeman DD, Stein C, Bathwick A, Radda GK, Fetal Growth and insulin resistance in adult life: role of skeletal muscle morphology Philips Clin Scin Colds 1997 March 92(5):291 – 6.
- MG Masding JR Jones, E Bartley, D.D. Sandeman. Assessment of Blood Pressure in patients with Type 2 Diabetes: Comparison between Home Blood Pressure Monitoring Clinic Blood Pressure Measurement and 24 hour Ambulatory Blood Pressure Monitoring: Diabetic Med 2001
- Masding MG, Lees PD, Gawne Caine ML Sandeman DD J RSoc Med 2003;96.27 Visual compression by a non secreting pituitary tumour during pregnancy.
- Masding MG, Lees PD, Gawne-Cain ML, Sandeman DD. Visual field compression by a non-secreting pituitary tumour during pregnancy. JR.Soc Med.2003 Jan; 96 (1) 27.8 No abstract available PMID; 12519799 (PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE)
- Masding MG, Stears AJ, Burge GC, Wootton SA, Sandeman DD. Pre-menopausal Advantages in Postprandial Lipid Metabolism are lost in women with Type 2 Diabetes
Diabetes Care 2003; 26(12):3243-9