Legg, Dr Julian
MA (Cantab) MB Bchir MRCP MD FRCPCH
Paediatric respiratory medicine
Training and education
- Medical undergraduate training, Cambridge University.
- Postgraduate training at a number of institutions, including Great Ormond Street Hospital, Birminham Children's Hospital and Princess Margaret Hospital in Perth, Western Australia.
- Research fellow, MD in paediatric respiratory infection, University of Southampton.
Dr Legg was appointed as a paediatric respiratory consultant in 2001. Following a successful research doctorate, he has continued with his research agenda as part of Southampton’s respiratory biomedical research unit. His interest include the microbiology of the lung in cystic fibrosis and early determinants of disease.
He is head of the paediatric respiratory department at Southampton Children’s Hospital, chair of the South and West England Audit and Research Committee and chief medical officer for the cystic fibrosis charity, Child Health International.
- Clinical lead for paediatric respiratory medicine, 2005.
- Doctorate of medicine, University of Southampton, 2003.
Key awards and prizes
- British Lung Foundation European Respiratory Society award.
- American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology international fellow in training award.
- British Society of Allergy and Clinical Immunology fellow in training research award.
Dr Legg has written multiple publications in general paediatric and paediatric respiratory journals. His main areas of research are in cystic fibrosis, asthma and bronchiolitis. Dr Legg is also part of the Southampton biomedical research unit, investigating a range of paediatric respiratory topics.