Somani, Professor Bhaskar K
MRCS, FEBU, DM, FFSTEd, FRCS (Urol)
Professor of urology
Endourology (endoscopic urological procedures)
Training and education
- Basic surgical training - Wales, Northamptonshire and the West Midlands
- Higher surgical training in urology - Scotland
- Fellowships - India and France
Prof Somani has worked as a consultant endourologist at UHS since 2012. He’s the lead for endourology at UHS and has performed more than 1500 ureteroscopy procedures (surgery to treat kidney stones). His outcomes show a stone-free rate of 96% and a minor complication rate of 4%, with nearly 80% of patients being able to go home on the same day as their surgery.
Prof Somani is also the clinical director of the south coast's lithotripsy services (a treatment that uses shock waves to break down kidney stones).
His main clinical interests are:
- benign prostate disorders
- urinary tract infections
- kidney stone disease
- haematuria (blood in urine)
- general urology.
Prof Somani has recently started using a new laser technique called 'pop-dusting' to remove kidney stones. You can read about this technique here and watch a video on YouTube that shows how it works.
Prof Somani has developed a portfolio of activities to raise public awareness of the symptoms, prevention and treatment of kidney stones, including appearing on BBC Radio 4's Inside Health programme, BBC South television and ITV Meridian News. You can watch Prof Somani's recent interview about kidney stone disease on the ITV Meridian website.
- Wessex Clinical Research Network (CRN) and simulation lead for urology
- Elected member - BAUS executive academic committee (2016-2018), endourology committee (2019-2021)
- NICE specialist advisor for interventional procedures and ‘invited expert’ for urological infections guidelines
- Performing live surgery and chairing conferences/courses in several countries including Portugal, Spain, Romania, Greece, Italy, Kosovo, China, Poland, Moldova, Germany, Abu Dhabi, Austria and Denmark
- Coordinator of largest simulation hands-on-training programme in the world - EUREP (European urology residents' education programme) – for prostate surgery, laparoscopic surgery and ureteroscopy
- President – PETRA group (Progress in Endourology, Technology and Research Association)
Awards and prizes
- Winner – clinical research award: EAU section of urolithiasis (EULIS), 2019
- Winner – best paper in the literature award: EAU section of urolithiasis (EULIS), 2017
- Joint winner- ‘NHS emerging leader’ (Thames Valley and Wessex region, 2015)
- Finalist - ‘NHS innovation award’ (Thames Valley and Wessex region, 2014)
- Royal Society of Medicine (RSM) urology section – prize (2013, 2014, 2016)
Mr Somani has published over 250 peer reviewed papers, 375 published conference papers/abstracts and six book chapters. He is on the editorial board of six journals and a reviewer for 15 journals (Including British, American and European urological journals). He is also the head of field for urology on the BMedSc research course at Southampton.
Benign prostate hyperplasia (BPH)
Prof Somani has published extensively (13 papers) on minimally invasive benign prostate treatments including prostate artery embolization (PAE), UroLift (prostate stapling), Rezum (prostate steam), Aquablation (robotic prostate surgery) and laser prostate surgery (HoLEP, ThuVEP).
Prof Somani is one of the most published surgeons in UK with primary and secondary research in prevention and treatment of stone disease.
Urinary tract infections (UTIs)
Prof Somani has published research (10 papers) on simple and complex UTIs.
Haematuria (blood in urine)
Prof Somani has published research (nine papers) on haematuria and its management.
You can find a full list of his publications on PubMed.