Nurse, midwife, or allied health professional

Research nurse and participant

By combining clinical practice and academic research, you can develop your career, raise standards and improve patient care.

Clinical academic pathway

You can become a clinical academic if you are becoming a nurse, midwife or allied health professional (AHP), combining healthcare with research.

We have a clear strategy for our clinical academic staff, providing training and support at every level. You can download an overview of the clinical academic career pathway on the right hand side.

You can find out more about the clinical academic pathway in the 2017 guide HEE/NIHR Integrated Clinical Academic (ICA) programme for non-medical healthcare professionals.

Research degrees

We offer offers a Master’s level degree for aspiring researchers, the taught MRes in clinical and Health Research. This provides an excellent grounding in both qualitative and quantitative research. For those who want to go further, there is the option of a research degree - either the MPhil/PhD research doctorate or the doctorate in clinical practice (DClinP).

Contact, Help, Advice & Information Network

The Contact, Help, Advice & Information Network (CHAIN) is an online support network for people working in health & social care, facilitating the exchange of knowledge and ideas and providing networking opportunities. 

It provides help and support for those wanting to apply for NIHR awards and other sources of research funding, and encourages greater linkage across the nursing, midwifery and AHP communities.

You can join CHAIN  for free and become a member of the nurses, midwives and AHPs in clinical academic research group.

Nurses' experiences

Listen our research nurses talk about why they chose a career in research.