Forconi, Dr Francesco
MD, DM, PhD, FRCPath
Training and education
- Laurea in Medicine and Surgery (medical degree), University of Siena, (final 110/110 marks cum laude), 1996.
- Abilitation in Medicine and Surgery, University of Siena (final 110/110 marks) and registration in the Principal List of Medical Practitioners, Order of Physicians and Surgeons of the Province of Siena, Italy, 1997.
- UK GMC full registration with a licence to practise, 2000, restoration in 2011.
- DM, cancer sciences division, University of Southampton, 2001.
- PhD in clinical pharmacology, University of Siena (final: excellent), 2002.
- Specialist in haematology, University of Siena (final 70/70 marks cum laude), 2003.
- Specialist registration in haematology with the UK GMC, 2011.
Dr Forconi has worked for the Trust as a consultant and academic since October 2011.
He completed all accreditations in academic and clinical haematology and transplant in 2003. From 2004 to 2011, Dr Forconi worked as a consultant and professor assistant at the haematology and transplant department, University of Siena Hospital Trust (Siena, Italy). He was clinical lead of the in-patient haematology wards from 2007 to 2008, and was lead for the chronic lymphoid leukaemias team from 2009 to 2011. Dr Forconi has international experience in the management of malignant chronic lymphoid leukaemias and low grade lymphomas.
Dr Forconi's current roles within the service include management and treatment of lymphomas and chronic leukaemias in the lymphoma clinic (medical oncology) and in the lymphoproliferative disorder clinic (haematology department).
He is a core member of the NIHR Cancer Research Network haematology oncology group, and is affiliated to the NCRN haem onc chronic lymphocytic leukaemia subgroup.
- NCRN haematology oncology group core member.
- Hairy Cell Leukemia Consortium, USA, core member.
- Fellow of the Royal College of Pathologists by publication list.
- Promotion of the department of haematology and transplant, University of Siena Hospital Trust, Italy to national and international levels.
Awards and prizes
- Senior research award, Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation (MMRF), USA, 2000.
- Hairy Cell Leukemia Research Foundation research awards (HCLRF), USA, 2004, 2005, 2009 and 2010.
- European Hematology Association (EHA) clinical research grant, EU, 2004.
- Piano di Ateneo per la Ricerca Grant, University of Siena, Italy, 2005.
- Research Projects of Relevant National Interest - Ministry of University and Research (PRIN-MUR), Italy, 2006 and 2009.
- Italian Association for Cancer Research (AIRC) investigator grant, 2007.
- Istituto Toscano Tumori (ITT) grant, Italy, 2009.
- Leukaemia and Lymphoma Research (LLR) grants, UK, 2012 and 2013.
- CLL Global Research Foundation, USA, 2013.
- Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia.
- Hairy cell leukaemia and splenic lymphomas.
- Low grade lymphomas.
Information on Dr Forconi's research and publications is available on the University of Southampton website.
Contact Dr Forconi via Helen Mahy in the lymphoproliferative disorder clinic, haematology department, on 023 8120 6164, or email email@example.com
You can also contact Dr Forconi via Monique Anatalio in the lymphoma team, on 023 8120 6164 or email Monique.Anatalio@uhs.nhs.uk