Afzal, Dr Nadeem Ahmad
MB, BS, MD, MRCP, MRCPCH (UK)
Paediatric gastroenterology, hepatology and nutrition
Training and education
- MBBS - King Edward Medical University, Lahore, Pakistan
- MRCP (UK)
- MRCPCH (UK)
- MD - Barts and the London School of Medicine, Queen Mary, University of London
Dr Afzal qualified from King Edward Medical University, Lahore with a distinction in pharmacology and therapeutics. He completed his specialist paediatric gastrointestinal (GI), liver and nutrition training at Great Ormond Street, St Bartholomew’s and the Royal Free Hospital, Chelsea Westminster and Kings College Hospitals. As research fellow at University College London, Dr Afzal completed his doctorate from St Bartholomew’s School of Medicine, University of London, with his thesis on paediatric inflammatory bowel disease (IBD).
Dr Afzal is a consultant in paediatric gastroenterology, hepatology and nutrition who joined the Trust in 2004.
He has a special interest in inflammatory conditions of the bowel and liver and is an elect member of the European PORTO paediatric IBD group. His other research interests include inflammatory disorders of the paediatric foregut and enteropathies (diseases of the intestine, including diarrhoeal disorders in children).
Dr Afzal offers diagnostic and therapeutic paediatric endoscopy at Southampton, and started a new joint paediatric polyposis surveillance endoscopy clinic in 2017. With his interest in paediatric allergy, Dr Afzal has also set up a new specialist joint paediatric allergy and gastroenterology clinic in Southampton.
Dr Afzal is also heavily involved in teaching. He's helped develop paediatric GI guidelines for paediatric care online, a new online initiative run by the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health. In addition, he has written CPD (continuing professional development) modules for primary care (local and national) and is involved with teaching locally, regionally and nationally. Dr Afzal lectures on the MSc allergy course in Southampton and MSc paediatric gastroenterology in Barts.
- Expert adviser for the NICE Centre for Guidelines
- Elect member of the European inflammatory bowel disease PORTO group (European Society of Paediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition)
- Editorial board member – World Journal of Gastroenterology and Scientifica
- Elected convenor (secretary) of British Society of Paediatric Gastroenterology Hepatology and Nutrition
- Editor in chief of the World Journal of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- Clinical effectiveness lead in child health at University Hospital Southampton
- Member of the Southampton University Hospital NHS Trust (previous name of UHS) drug committee
- Establishing a new specialist joint paediatric allergy and gastroenterology clinic in Southampton
- Starting a new paediatric polyposis surveillance endoscopy clinic in Southampton, and continuing to provide diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopy services
- Paediatric gastroenterology transition care offering nine transition clinics a year, with three paediatric IBD consultants offering specialist care to children with IBD with six annual transitional liver clinics
- Establishing paediatric liver services at University Hospital Southampton, running joint clinics with King's College Hospital
- Provision of a 24/7 on-call specialist paediatric gastroenterology service at Southampton Children’s Hospital
- Dr Afzal provides two monthly specialist GI clinics in Basingstoke and Frimley Park Hospital to provide care to children and families closer to their homes. He helps to develops efficient care pathways and also helps to run regular Wessex Paediatric GI Network meetings. You can find out more about the network here.
- Principal investigator for a portfolio paediatric IBD study
- Research work with BMedSci third year students with a number of translational projects
- Co-supervised doctorate students in Southampton
- More than 50 Medline publications
Dr Afzal works closely with a number of charities who continue to do wonderful work to help patients and families in Hampshire:
- Lagan’s Foundation – Dr Afzal serves as a trustee for Lagan's Foundation and runs a bi-annual training course for volunteers at University of Southampton with a dedicated faculty based in Southampton. Volunteers from this course offer respite care to help families with children with cardiac conditions. You can find out more on the charity's website.
- Childhood Liver Disease Foundation (CLDF) provides patient support and information in paediatric liver clinics in Southampton. You can find out more on their website.