Patterson, Mr Benjamin
Training and education
- Medical degree at Imperial College London
- Vascular surgery training in London teaching hospitals
Mr Patterson is a consultant vascular surgeon who joined the Trust in 2019 as part of the Wessex Vascular Network.
He is experienced in the endovascular (minimally invasive) and open surgery to treat aortic disease including:
- infra-renal (below the kidneys) aneurysms
- thoracic (chest) and thoracoabdominal (chest to abdomen) pathology
- lower limb arterial reconstruction (repair of an artery).
He also performs carotid endarterectomy (a procedure to treat a narrowed carotid artery) and surgery for venous (vein) disease.
Awards and prizes
- Runner-up for the University of London's Gold Medal Award for performance in final exams
Mr Patterson’s PhD involved studying the prevention of complications following thoracic aneurysm repair. In a previous role, he was awarded an NIHR clinical academic lectureship to conduct post-doctoral research.
He has authored over 60 peer-reviewed publications which have received over 1200 citations, as well as several book chapters and presented his work in the United States, Europe and China.
His current focus in the Wessex Vascular Network is limb salvage and amputation reduction.