Honorary clinical attachment contracts are designed to provide experience of the NHS to visiting junior doctors from overseas, in particular those who are interested in working in the NHS.
These placements are observational only. Visitors will not have direct, hands-on, patient contact or take on any responsibility and will be supervised at all times.
Please note, we can only accept junior doctors that are already GMC registered.
In accordance with Home Office recommendations, attachments are limited to a maximum of six weeks.
Under no circumstances will the doctor undertake on call duties to cover for sickness, or be granted a request for an honorary ST1/2 contract.
Applications can only be made using the form in the download window and returning it by email to email@example.com. Please type your form and return as a complete PDF or Word document. Handwritten scanned forms and multiple separate pages will not be accepted.
All applicants must state the area of specialty they would prefer, although we can make no guarantee of a placement in any chosen specialty.
All applicants must provide full contact details for two referees including email and home address. This should be detailed on the application form.
When returning your completed application form you must also attach your curriculum vitae.
If accepted, the applicant will be notified with a start date and a named educational supervisor.
The granting of an attachment will be dependent on the following:
- GMC registration
- Successful completion of a criminal record disclosure form or similar endorsement, plus other documents relating to proof of identity as requested
- If you are not a native English speaker, you will need a minimum of IELTS certificate level 7.5 or an equivalent level of English that you can demonstrate
- Occupational health clearance
- Successful applicants will have to undertake an online induction prior to their start date and attend the Trust’s doctors' induction on the day the attachment commences. These are on the first Wednesday of each month. Further details of this will be sent once an offer is made
- Satisfactory references
- An ID badge must be worn at all times (provided at induction)
There is a fee to pay. This will be requested when the application has been approved. The payment must be made at least 8 weeks in advance of the requested start date, before our human resources department commence their pre-contract checks. The fee is non-refundable. There are two methods of payment: by telephone using a debit or credit card, or by bank transfer. You will be sent instructions once your placement is agreed.
The fee is made up of £570 for set up then a further £150 per week for the duration of the placement. For example:
- If the placement was for 4 weeks, the fee would be £570 + (4 x £150) = £1,170
- If the placement was for 6 weeks, the fee would be £570 + (6 x £150) = £1,470.
Before applying, you must ensure you have sufficient funding to pay the fee and cover the cost of your stay whilst on the attachment.
The hospital has no accommodation for visiting doctors and we are not able to offer help with this. Applicants are responsible for finding and arranging their own accommodation and are advised not to book accommodation or make travel arrangements until their application has been accepted.
All attachments will start on the first Wednesday of a month.
Please apply at least 12 weeks before you wish to start. This is to enable the necessary checks to be made. We are not able to take any applications to start in August.