Local support and useful links
Specialist staff are often invited to speak at support group meetings and there is regular input to our service from the representatives of the following local support groups:
Parkinson's UK - Southampton local advisors
Advisors provide confidential, one to one information about Parkinson’s and local services.
Support is given to anyone affected by the condition, including family and friends. They can help you get your needs met by local support services and by liaising with health and social care professionals, if needed. From information about benefits to emotional support, our advisors are here to help.
Parkinson’s UK - Southampton branch
Branch activities include:
- Tai Chi - Tuesdays 11 to 11.45am at the Scout hut on Rampart Road
- Singing - Tuesdays 1.45 to 3.45pm (except second Tuesday of the month) at the Scout hut on Rampart Road
- General meeting - second Tuesday of the month at 2pm in St Mark's Church Hall, Archers Road. Various speakers followed by tea or coffee and biscuits
- Physio led exercise - Thursdays 10 to 11am or 11.15am to 12.15pm at the Scout hut on Rampart Road
- POP meeting for partners of people with Parkinson’s (carers) - second Wednesday of the month at 12.30pm at various venues
- New age kurling - third Wednesday of the month at the West End Parish Centre (behind Netto’s) 1.30 to 3.30pm
- Various activities often including a pub lunch or cream tea - Saturday/Thursday evenings (usually third of each month). Further information is available from Mary Shorter
All activities incur a cost but the branch endeavour to keep them to a minimum, just covering the cost to the group.
Coach trips are also arranged each year, usually in May and October. For more information please contact Mary Shorter.
Parkinson’s UK - Romsey support group
- Angela Lloyd
- Telephone: 02380 738333
Parkinson’s UK - New Forest branch
- Alan Russett
- Telephone: 01590 670636
- Monthly meeting on third Tuesday of each month (except August and December) at Boldre War Memorial Hall, Pilley Street, Pilley SO41 5QG
Parkinson's UK - Isle of Wight branch
- Ron Tweedie
- Telephone: 01983 719389
Solent early onset - Southampton branch
A young onset parkinson's disease support group.
- Contact: Mary Shorter
- Telephone: 023 8044 9652
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- All activities as Southampton Branch. Anyone suffering with Parkinson’s and their partners are welcome
Hampshire County Council - older driver skills scheme
If driving becomes a concern it is possible to have your driving assessed locally for a small fee. The assessment is a confidential appraisal of driving skills and has no impact on your licence.
Multiple System Atrophy Trust
National Tremor Foundation
The Dystonia Society
NICE guidance on the treatment of Parkinson’s disease
Hampshire social services
Southampton City social services