Rehabilitation will start as soon as the stroke team feel that it is safe to begin. Rehabilitation starts in the acute stroke unit until you are medically stable, then options will be discussed on where to continue your care. You could:
- Stay on ward F8 and move into one of the stroke rehabilitation beds.
- Go home and have specialist stroke rehabilitation provided by our community stroke team (CST) or local community rehabilitation teams.
- Transfer to Lymington New Forest hospital under the care of Dr Giles Durward and his specialist team.
- Transfer to Snowdon House which specialises in the rehabilitation of stroke patients with more complex needs.
Community stroke team
The community stroke team is a local NHS service that offers a specialist rehabilitation service for patients after their stroke. They will work with you, your family and carers on specific goals to promote your independence and improve your quality of life. This will be done in your own home and local community.
The service includes:
- Assessment of your individual difficulties and needs once you are at home
- Providing rehabilitation for up to six weeks on an individual basis, offering regular review and onward referral as needed
- Setting rehabilitation goals based on what you want to achieve
- Planning therapy and rehabilitation to help work towards your goals
- Liaising and planning with other community based services as required
- Providing information, advice and support for you and your family or carers.
You can expect to have contact with any one or all of the following health professionals:
- occupational therapist
- speech and language therapist
- Hayden Kirk, consultant therapist and team manager
- Gemma Brown, team leader
- Kelli Stephens, administrator
Telephone: 0300 123 5007
Snowdon House is a specialist stroke rehabilitation unit based at the Western Hospital.
The team at Snowdon House specialise in the rehabilitation of patients who have had a stroke and require specialist input in order to promote independence and improve quality of life.
- Champa Sumanasuriya, rehabilitation consultant
- Caroline Hutchings, rehabilitation consultant
Telephone: 0300 123 5008