Children's endocrinology service
Our children's endocrinology service takes referrals from across the Wessex region for any child with a suspected endocrine disorder, and from existing paediatric specialists. There is a separate service for children with diabetes.
We aim to improve children’s understanding of their illness, and help them manage it themselves where appropriate. Education on their condition is provided for children and families, in addition to outpatient clinic visits. At the time of diagnosis, booklets and other information are provided, along with contact details given of support groups.
Meet the team
The paediatric endocrinology team consists of:
- Dr Justin Davies - consultant paediatric endocrinologist and service lead
- Dr Nicola Trevelyan - consultant paediatrician
- Dr Nikki Davis - consultant paediatric endocrinologist and diabetologist
- Pauline Musson - specialist paediatric endocrine nurse
- Stephanie Kerr - specialist paediatric endocrine nurse
We've carried out research on topics including:
- body composition in childhood malignancy and childhood chronic illness
- bone health and calcium disorders in children
- hypopituitarism following traumatic brain injury.
Referrals can be made by GPs or other endocrinology centres. We hold a weekly new patient clinic. Emergency referrals will be seen the same day, urgent referrals will be seen within one week. A referral to visiting clinics is usually through the local paediatrician or by contacting our service lead, Dr Justin Davies. If you're concerned about your child, please contact your doctor.
For general enquiries, a message can be left with the endocrine specialist nurses on 023 8120 8719 or 023 8120 6985.