Princess Anne Hospital ultrasound
Princess Anne Hospital is the maternity hospital for Southampton, seeing all obstetric and gynaecological patients.
- Find us on level E, this is the same level as the main hospital entrance.
- Our opening hours are 8.30am to 5pm.
- Call us on 023 8120 6046.
Can I bring a friend or relative?
One adult may accompany you during the scan. Please note that children are not allowed in the scan rooms.
Types of ultrasound examinations
You can read our patient information leaflets on:
- Your pregnancy dating scan - maternity information
- Your 20 week anomaly scan - maternity information
- Pelvic ultrasound scan - maternity information
- Pelvic ultrasound scan (full bladder) - maternity information
In addition to the dating and anomaly scan, some women will have more scans during their pregnancy:
- Women who have been referred by their GP to the early pregnancy unit due to problems such as bleeding will have a scan.
- At the routine scan, if the placenta appears low, a further scan will be performed between 32 to 34 weeks to ensure no placenta tissue is near the cervix.
- Growth scan are performed in later stages of pregnancy if there is a query about the growth of a baby. These are performed between 28 to 40 weeks. You may be referred by your GP, midwife or consultant obstetrician.