Beardsell, Dr Iain
MB ChB, FCEM
Training and education
- MB ChB (hons) Anatomy and Biochemistry, University of Birmingham medical school, 1998
- Postgraduate training in Shrewsbury, Birmingham, Manchester, London and Sydney
- Member of the College of Emergency Medicine, 2003
- Fellow of the College of Emergency Medicine, 2007
- CCST (certificate of completion of specialist training), emergency medicine, Wessex, 2008
Dr Beardsell has been a consultant in emergency medicine since May 2006, and joined University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust in May 2008. He is also a member of the medical team on the Hampshire and Isle of Wight air ambulance.
Dr Beardsell has broad-based training in emergency medicine, including experience in orthopaedics and trauma, anaesthetics and intensive care medicine and acute medicine. He has worked at major teaching hospitals in the UK, including South Manchester, St Mary’s London (Imperial) and St George’s, London, as well as in Australia at the Prince of Wales Hospital.
- Co-author of the best selling examination revision book “Get Through MCEM Part A MCQs”.
- Founder of the Southampton Emergency Medicine Education Project (www.semep.co.uk). This is an e-learning resource used nationally and internationally for training junior doctors just starting to work in emergency medicine.
- Martin, D, Beardsell, I. Is routine coagulation testing necessary in patients presenting to the emergency department with chest pain? Emerg Med J. 2012 Mar;29(3):184-7
- Beardsell, I, Robinson S. Can emergency department nurses performing triage predict the need for admission? Emerg Med J 2011;28:959-962
Contact Dr Beardsell via Chris Penniston, ED secretary, by email at Chris.Penniston@uhs.nhs.uk or on 023 8120 4107.